CHINNOR started their National League 2 South campaign with a dominant seven-try display in a 47-10 home victory over London Irish Wild Geese.

Fly-half Bertie Hopkin scored 17 points, including one try, two penalties and three conversions, as the hosts proved too strong up front at Kingsey Road.

The convincing victory sees them go top of the table ahead of their local derby at Henley Hawks next weekend.

It took Chinnor just a minute to get on the scoreboard, with winger Henry Lamont crossing to make it 5-0.

But the visitors took a 7-5 lead moments later when Seb Rodwell went over and Pete Hodgkinson added the extras.

Hopkin and Hodgkinson traded penalties, before the hosts took control.

Repeated scrum pressure led to a penalty try on 30 minutes, which Hopkin converted, and full back Kieran Goss went over just before half-time to make it 20-10.

Hopkin failed to add the extras this time.

The fly half increased Chinnor’s lead to 23-10 with a penalty on 59 minutes and the hosts ramped up the pressure.

Hopkin darted through for the bonus point after a bruising scrum, and then converted flanker George Messum’s 68th-minute try to make it 35-10.

Chinnor were not finished as scrum half Greg Goodfellow darted over for try No 6.

And the scoring sequence was completed in the last minute, with Mark Darlington being forced over and Hopkin adding the extras.

HENLEY Hawks had to settle for a bonus point in suffering a 23-18 defeat at Redruth.

The hosts enjoyed good early territory and took a 12-0 lead.

Tommy Phillips and Brett Rule crossed, with James Huxtable converting the second score.

Hawks gradually took the game to the home side and scrum half George Jackson slotted two penalties to reduce the deficit to six points after 25 minutes.

But Redruth continued to have the better of the forward play and Ashley Lawton drove over to make it 17-6.

Hawks skipper Dave Clements was sin-binned for a ruck offence, but they overcame the man deficit as debutant David Hyde crashed over for an unconverted try.

The visitors spent much of the second period in the home side’s half, but lacked penetration and when they were forced to defend they were penalised.

Huxtable kicked two penalties to make it 23-11, while Henley’s Brad Cook was sin-binned.

The visitors kept going and set up a grandstand finish when replacement Jaki Chamnaoui went over.

Jackson converted to make it 23-18.

Henley searched for the win and Dyneal Fessal looked to have crossed, but he put his foot on the touchline when diving for the line.

The visitors were camped inside the hosts’s ten-metre line, but heroic defending denied them another try.