OXFORD City beat Eastbourne Borough to reach the Vanarama National League South play-off semi-finals in front of a record crowd at Court Place Farm.

Headers in each half from Elliot Benyon and George Harmon proved enough to overcome the East Sussex side and set up a last-four clash at Dorking Wanderers on Saturday.

Both goalscorers were on target when City achieved their previous record competitive attendance, against Slough Town on Boxing Day, and they again ensured most of the 1,349-strong crowd went home happy.

Benyon nodded home midway through the first period, before Harmon applied the finishing touch with 14 minutes left to secure a deserved victory in the eliminator tie.

Jenkins made two changes to the line-up that started at Bath City on Saturday as Benyon and Canice Carroll returned, with Dan Matsuzaka and Jacob Bancroft dropping to the bench.

The early stages had the feel of a play-off tie, with neither side willing to commit too many players forward and both enjoying spells of possession.

City’s main scares came when Ben Dudzinski waited slightly too long to release the ball with Charley Kendall breathing down his neck, before the Eastbourne dangerman lashed over on the half-volley.

It took 23 minutes for the hosts to have a clear sight of goal, but they took their chance when it came.

Zac McEachran did well to force a corner, which Josh Ashby sent towards the centre of the penalty area. Benyon leapt high and hung in the air, before nodding firmly past Lee Worgan.

Another opening presented itself moments later when Joe Iaciofano took possession in space and drove towards the box, but his shot was weak and straight at the goalkeeper.

City were enjoying a good spell and worked the ball well down the right just after the half-hour mark, with Ewan Clark cutting inside and shaving the far post with a curling effort.

Eastbourne were restricted to half-chances and ex-Peterborough United midfielder Chris Whelpdale shanked well wide when he was found in space on the left.

The hosts were comfortable and Iaciofano fired a difficult chance over on the half-volley with the interval moments away, before blazing high and wide from a tight angle after the restart.

The pace of the game quickened as Eastbourne’s need for an equaliser grew more urgent and the challenges flew in, with Charlie Walker, James Vaughan and Clark booked in quick succession.

Meanwhile, the visitors brought on Dominic Hutchinson for Whelpdale as the pressure mounted midway through the half.

City rode out the storm and scored the crucial second goal 14 minutes from time.

The impressive Clark raced into the penalty area and shot from a tight angle, drawing a save from Worgan. The ball looped up in the air and Harmon was in the right place to nod home on the line.

City held onto the ball in the celebrations and Eastbourne centre back Trent Mahorn took issue, earning a booking after causing a melee as he attempted to get the game restarted quickly.

The centre back was soon substituted for Jake Elliott, while Greg Luer came off for Leone Gravata.

Eastbourne continued to push as full-time approached, while City slowed the game down with a succession of substitutions to close out victory.

Oxford City (3-4-1-2): Dudzinski, Asare, Carroll, Rowan, Clark, Fleet, Ashby, Harmon, McEachran (Coyle 90), Iaciofano (Bancroft 86), Benyon (Owusu 90+5).

Unused subs: Dasilva, Matsuzaka.

Booked: McEachran, Clark, Iaciofano.

Eastbourne Borough (4-2-3-1): Worgan, Nippard, Mahorn (Elliott 81), Dickenson, Currie, Hammond, Vaughan, Luer (Gravata 77), Walker, Whelpdale (Hutchinson 62), Kendall.

Unused subs: Perez, Shaw.

Booked: Walker, Vaughan, Mahorn.

Referee: Dale Wootton.

Attendance: 1,349.