OXFORD United beat Salford City in an innovative friendly at their training ground.

Matty Taylor scored twice as the first-team came from behind to win 2-1 inside 90 minutes, to add to his strike in the 3-2 victory at Oxford City last night.

The U’s had conceded early on and Sam Winnall missed a penalty before Karl Robinson made ten substitutions on the hour mark, with Taylor one of those to join the action.

United’s Under 18s got a run out in the final 45 minutes as the teams played out three thirds of football, with 16-year-old Gatlin O’Donkor grabbing a hat-trick and Adam Smith heading home.

They are back in action on Tuesday, when they face Hayes & Yeading at Thame United’s ASM Stadium.

Robinson made ten changes to the XI that started last night’s win at City, with Elliott Moore the only player to keep his place.

Billy Bodin and Sam Winnall were involved after sitting out the victory at Court Place Farm and joined Ryan Williams in the front three, while Leon Chambers-Parillon began at left back.

The game started at an energetic pace despite the heat and Salford – none of whom were wearing shirt numbers - went ahead after 12 minutes.

The lively Josh Morris dinked a cross in from the left wing and an opposing striker got in front of Alex Gorrin to give Jack Stevens no chance from close range.

United’s first major chance came shortly after the players had their first drinks break after a quarter of an hour.

Sam Long fired a pass into Winnall, whose clever flick released Sykes. The midfielder shrugged off his man but could not finish one-on-one, with the Salford keeper reading his clipped effort.

Much of United’s play was coming down the right side and Sykes had another try just before the break, his swiped shot from close range cleared off the line and hacked away.

Salford had a couple of openings before the first interval, with Robinson sending the same XI out for the middle third.

Sykes was again in the right place to take the ball on his chest and finish smartly moments after the interval, only for the linesman to flag offside.

The midfielder was instrumental in United’s best chance yet when he was bundled over after driving into the penalty area.

Winnall grabbed the ball but his stuttering run-up failed to fool the goalkeeper, who saved down to his left.

As against City, United made ten changes on the hour as only Luke McNally stayed on.

Taylor immediately made it two in two for pre-season, climbing above his marker to meet Agyei’s cross and squeeze the ball over the line.

It was Salford’s turn to make ten changes, before Taylor struck again 13 minutes from time.

James Henry received the ball in space on the edge of the box, but hesitated before he could get a shot off.

Cameron Brannagan’s effort was blocked and the ball eventually found its way to Taylor, who tucked it away.

The U’s saw out the final few minutes of the 90, before the youngsters took centre stage.

O’Donkor quickly made his mark, proving too much of a handful playing off the last man.

The 16-year-old outmuscled his marker for his first goal and earned a bit of luck as he saw his effort take a deflection and loop over the goalkeeper.

Within ten minutes he had another, outpacing the Salford defender to slot into the far corner.

It was an impressive display from the youngsters, especially with the visitors leaving some senior players on the pitch.

The U’s continued to impress and they extended their advantage through Smith, heading home at the far post after a well-worked move freed up Ben Watt to cross.

O’Donkor’s hat-trick rewarded his determination, as he benefitted from a mix-up between defender and keeper to slot into the empty net.

Kie Plumley was kept busy for the remainder and made one flying save to his left, enabling the young U’s to end the afternoon on a high.

Oxford United, first 60 minutes (4-3-3): Stevens, Long, Moore, McNally, Chambers-Parillon, Sykes, Gorrin, McGuane, Bodin, Winnall, Williams.

United, next 30 minutes (4-3-3): Eastwood, Forde, Hanson, McNally, Elechi, Henry, Clare, Brannagan, Agyei, Taylor, Cooper.

United, final 45 minutes: Plumley, Watt, Golding, Zabeli, Elechi (Sankoh), Johnson, Goodrham, Anifowose (Tiamuna), Osei, O’Donkor (Owens), Smith.