James Constable came off the bench to help United to victory over Barnet.

His battling, bustling style brought the U's an equaliser after they trailed at half-time.

And then he drilled in a winner seven minutes from time, beating Jake Cole with a shot just inside his left post.

It was the second successive match that United have come from behind to win and moves Oxford up to 12th in the League Two table.

Hard work by the groundstaff and other United staff who had been up since 6am helped to get the game on, as did the changing weather conditions, with snow and ice replaced by rain during the morning.

United began with a 4-4-2 formation for the first time this season, with Tom Craddock operating alongside Steve Maclean and James Constable on the bench.

The rain continued to lash down in the first half, which contributed to the muted atmosphere.

But there was little to get that excited about on the pitch, with few scoring chances at either end.

Simon Clist’s effective block tackle in the 18th minute won the ball, just outside the Barnet box, and Maclean drilled in a low shot that Jake Cole pushed around his post.

But the visitors’ two wide midfielders, George Francomb, on loan from Norwich, and the pacy Mark Marshall, were causing problems.

Francoimb had an angled shot, beaten away by Clarke.

But in the 35th minute, the Bees went in front with Francomb and Marshall both instrumental.

Francomb dribbled past Steve Kinniburgh as he cut in from the right, Kevin Gallen worked the ball across the area, and Marshall side-footed home from 15 yards.

United didn’t have much joy as they tried to hit back, though their free-kicks were not great, often failing to beat the first man.

Craddock was booked for handling the ball as he tried to score and Heslop drove a 25-yard shot wide.

It was when Alfie Potter came on for Asa Hall in the second half that the U’s looked to have more menace going forward, and doubly so when Constable came off the bench.

And on 63 minutes, Constable’s persistence brought Oxford level.

He challenged Cole on the edge of the six-yard box and the Barnet keeper spilled the ball, which ricocheted off centre half Anwar Uddin’s foot, the ball trickling over the line to make it 1-1.

And with seven minutes remaining, Constable drilled in the winner with a fierce shot inside Cole's right post.