Barry Quinn celebrated his appointment as Oxford United's new team captain by heading in a fine equaliser in a 1-1 draw against League Two Wycombe on Friday night.

With 14 minutes to go, the Irish centre back climbed high to nod in a superb inswinging cross from the right by new signing Alex Jeannin.

It came after Argentine midfielder Sergio Torres had scored a brilliant individual goal to put the Chairboys ahead at the Kassam Stadium.

Coming on as a half-time substitute, Torres had only touched the ball once when he reacted to see an opening after United triallist Arthur Gnohere gave the ball away with a heavy touch.

Torres then beat three defenders on a mazy run, before rounding keeper Billy Turley and firing home a George Best-like goal, the quality of which seemed very out of keeping in an otherwise mundane friendly.

Marvin Robinson headed against the bar. In fact, it was good athleticism from Wycombe keeper Scott Shearer, who just fingertipped Robinson's effort against the woodwork.

And Michael Standing was twice unlucky not to find the net. The first time he finished off a sudden burst in midfield with a curling shot, which flew just wide.

His second attempt some time later was even better, as he drilled back a low drive from 25 yards which Shearer saved with some difficulty.

Quinn, who has taken over as United's new team captain, although Phil Gilchrist remains club captain, was a great example to his teammates throughout.

The first half was more notable for some over-zealous challenges and hard tackles than for its goalmouth action, but that's what happens when you have local derbies as pre-season friendlies.

Billy Turley made a terrific save from John Sutton's header just before the break, turning the effort around a post after Sutton met Chris Palmer's cross with a firm connection.

A few minutes earlier, Gary Twigg was denied by a similarly fine save from Shearer, who pushed his header out following a good cross from Eddie Anaclet. Jeannin rushed his follow-up shot, slicing horribly wide.

Twice Twigg was caught offside after mistiming his runs, but at least he was trying to play off the shoulder.

Jeannin fired over a quality cross from the left, but Anaclet's poor control let him down.

In injury time, Turley made another excellent stop, beating out Easter's shot.

Oxford Utd: Turley, Anaclet, Corcoran (Gnohere h-t), Quinn, Day, Jeannin, Foster (Standing h-t), Hutchinson, Pettefer (Trainer h-t), Duffy (Robinson 69), Twigg (Ledgister 54).

Referee: G Scott (Oxon). Att: 1,691.