WHAT a difference a week makes.

Seven days ago, Oxford United were left cursing their luck and wondering what might have been after letting slip a two-goal lead at home to Burton Albion.

But seven days and two wins later, back-to-back away victories has everyone smiling again.

Saturday’s 2-0 win at Barnet was not a perfect display, but a combination of good finishing, plus well-organised and resolute defending meant it was a deserved three points.

Having soaked up a fair amount of first-half pressure and seen Barnet have a goal disallowed, the U’s hit back in style with Simon Heslop and Liam Davis scoring in a five-minute purple patch.

United could, and perhaps should, have gone further ahead in the second half, with Dean Brill saving well from James Constable and substitute Deane Smalley.

But Barnet skipper Mark Hughes hit a post and Oxford had their captain Jake Wright sent off for a second yellow card in stoppage time, so the scoreline was probably about right.

Wright was given his marching orders after bringing down Barnet sub and former United player Sam Deering.

The U’s named an unchanged team from that which beat Dagenham on Tuesday night, with new loan signing Andy Haworth named as a substitute.

After making a good start in which Alfie Potter looked lively, Barnet gradually got into the game.

Daniel Leach thought he had put the hosts ahead with a deflected effort on 20 minutes after Hughes’s initial shot had been blocked.

But referee Carl Berry ruled the deflection had come off a Barnet hand.

Playing down the Underhill slope, Barnet were carving out plenty of half chances.

Izale McLeod was causing problems with his pace, and on 26 minutes was brought down by Wright, earning the centre half his first yellow card.

Barnet kept pressing and Michael Duberry got up well to head away a Mark Byrne free-kick.

Oxford’s opener came as a hammer blow to the home side.

Potter did superbly to beat Clovis Kamdjo on the left and drove the ball across goal It was half-cleared, but fell invitingly to Heslop, who steadied himself and curled a right-footed effort past Brill from 20 yards – his first away goal for United.

That was on 33 minutes and five minutes later, United bagged an equally good, if not better, second.

Potter again worked well on the right and his cross was turned back to Davis by Robert Hall.

Davis played a one-two with Peter Leven, who scooped the ball over the top for Davis to volley underneath Brill.

The home side brought on Deering and veteran striker Steve Kabba at half-time, and on 50 minutes, United keeper Ryan Clarke dived well to his right to keep out Hughes’s fierce drive.

Constable had been fairly quiet, but must have thought he had put Oxford 3-0 ahead on 55 minutes when he drove at goal on the turn following a Potter cross. However, Brill saved brilliantly with his feet.

Haworth was handed his debut after 61 minutes, replacing Heslop.

McLeod looked certain to make it 2-1 after the ball broke to him eight yards out, but Clarke made a fine save.

Barnet went for broke, throwing on an experienced forward in Lloyd Owusu, while United replaced Paul McLaren with Andy Whing to anchor their midfield.

On 77 minutes, Haworth had his first look at goal, driving over from Potter’s pass. His first United booking was to follow shortly afterwards for kicking the ball away.

Smalley, who replaced Constable, was put through one-on-one with Brill, but saw his angled shot turned round for a corner.

Late on, Hughes volleyed against a post with Clarke beaten, then Byrne was booked for dissent.

In stoppage time, Wright felled Deering as he ran towards the box.

Initially, referee Berry appeared to only award a free-kick, but then pulled out a yellow card and a slightly bemused Wright trooped off.

But his dismissal could not really darken what was another good away day for United.