James Constable hit a hat-trick as Oxford United notched their first league win of the season.

Simon Heslop lit the blue touchpaper with a stunning 30-yard strike as the U's put their goal drought to bed in emphatic fashion.

Chris Wilder's men had not scored for four games, and had found the net just once in the league this season, despite threatening on a number of occasions to give someone a hammering.

There seemed to be an instruction to get more shots in because new striker Tom Craddock, Matt Green (twice) and Heslop had all tried their luck from distance.

Some efforts were saved without too much difficulty by keeper Barry Roche, some flashed wide.

But when classy midfielder Heslop advanced and let fly with a superb drive in the 21st minute, there was only ever going to be one outcome. The ball over Roche and into the net for an obvious early goal-of-the-season contender.

Four minutes later and Constable doubled United's lead with his first league goal of the season.

He peeled away and met Heslop's right-wing corner with a thumping header high into the net from 12 yards.

United continued to play bright attacking football, moving the ball well, and the confidence the goals gave them brought some of the old swagger back.

Morecambe had been dealt an early blow with experienced striker Phil Jevons went off with a bad head injury in the eighth minute, and he was immediately taken to hospital.

In the second half, Ryan Clarke made a stunning double save, following up his initial stop of a deflected long-range shot with a brave reaction save from Paul Mullin.

The Shrimps had left back Laurence Wilson dismissed for a second foul in quick succession on substitute Alfie Potter.

And ten-man Morecambe were punished by a third goal, Josh Payne-s mis-hit shot finding its way into the box where Constable swivelled and drilled in his second goal of the game, and Oxford's third.

The irrepressible striker was not finished, though. In the first minute of stoppage time, Potter did superbly to get past two players and cut the ball back from the bye-line, and Constable knocked it home for his first Football League treble.

Oxford Utd: Clarke, Purkiss, Worley, Wright (Creighton 73), Tonkin, Heslop, Payne, Hall, Green (Potter 67), Constable, Craddock (Deering 67). Subs not used: Midson, Baker, Eastwood, Bulman.

Booked: none.

Att: 6,237 (144 from Morecambe)