The George produced the great escape of the season so far as they beat Kidlington Sports B 2-1 in their Premier Section clash.

Sports got off to a great start, setting 30 in the opening leg. George responded well, but still left anchor man Willy Waite six to win the leg.

Waite fell just one doll short with five, to send the leg into three sticks, which The George won.

In the second leg, George set 25, Kidlington Sports replying in a steady fashion, but it was down to seventh man Andy Burns to give them the advantage as he clanged off a six to leave anchor man Dave Williams just two to win the leg.

The decider saw Sports set 31 and their first victory of the season looked on the cards when George put only 12 on the board with only half the team left and 19 still needed to win.

The great escape began with Les Disley clanging off a five and Dave Sawyer chipped in with a four.

Then Steve Walton bagged himself a six, as did anchor man Waite to secure the leg 33-31 and snatch a memorable victory.

Walton and Waite both finished with 14 dolls, while Barry Williams top-scored for Kidlington with 13.

Red Lion Eynsham boosted their Section 1 title ambitions by beating closest rivals Garsington Sports Club 3-0, although the game was much closer then the scoreline suggests.

The first two legs were tied 21-21, 23-23, with Lion winning them both on three sticks. The final leg proved a lot easier as Lion took it 27-18.

Lee Thompson led the way with 14 dolls (4-4-6).

There was a shock in Section 2 as unbeaten leaders Chequers B lost 2-1 to bottom-of-the-table Cricketers A, Littleworth.

Chequers got off to a bad start by losing the opening leg 19-13, but came back well to level in the second 26-20.

Chequers could only muster 16 in the final leg, Cricketers responding with 20 for an unexpected win. Pete Kennett (Chequers) was top man with a dozen dolls (4-6-2).

Red Lion, Marston top Section 3 after a 3-0 win at home to Highfield Club A. Terry Stuart led the way with a 15- doll haul (5-5-5) and was well supported by Billy Trinder with 14 (5-6-3) as they won 27-19, 33-19, 23-12.

After appearing in the blobbers section a few weeks ago, Kennington Club’s Ian Walters now finds his name among the sixers after recording a maximum.

It came in his dozen dolls during the 2-1 victory over Red Lion, Garsington in Section 4. Kennington lost the first leg 23-21, but took the next two 16-14, 20-16.

In Section 5, King & Queen and Vikings Sports both hit 54 dolls, but it was Vikings who emerged victorious.

They set the first leg with 19, King & Queen’s anchor man Stuart Fithett whipping off the four dolls needed to tie the leg, which they lost on three sticks.

Vikings lost the next 18-17 but took the decider 18-17. Martin Wain was top dog with 11 dolls (5-3-3).

There was little to choose between Ashton Club and Littlemore RFC in Section 9.

Ashton set 16 in the opening leg and after a slow reply from the rugby men, it was left to anchor man Tony Gillett to level it with a three and then take the one doll needed to win the three-stick shoot-out.

Littlemore set the next leg with 16 and this time it was Ashton’s anchor man, Colin Grant, who knocked off the three dolls to tie the leg. The rugby club won the shoot-out on three sticks and then claimed maximum points in the final leg 18-15.

Andy Cox hit 11 dolls for Ashton, as did Paul Evans for the rugby club.