OXFORD City Stars returned from their trip ‘into the unknown’ with another league title.

A week after securing the English National League Division 2 South crown, Stars beat their North counterparts Sutton Sting 3-1 in Coventry on Sunday to claim the Division 2 championship.

Afterwards, Kenny Redmond was thrilled at claiming a second title in his first season as Stars’ head coach.

“We came into the unknown today,” he said. “We tried to research them as best we could.

“We knew they had danger men, who could put the the puck in the net.

“But we have three lines, who can score and it’s that depth that has been the key to our success this season.

“The boys did a job and we are all delighted.”

It was a nervous and scoreless first period in front of a large crowd. But once they had sized up their opponents from Nottinghamshire, Stars took charge in the second period.

Joe Edwards got the crucial first goal as he burst into the Sting zone before finishing his own rebound past minder Warren Guilfoyle.

It soon became 2-0 as Edwards turned provider for Mike Whillock, who fired home from the top of the circle.

Sutton had to chase the game in the third period, and the reshuffled line-up started to impose themselves.

Stan Lascek had been a thorn in the Stars defence for most of the game, and the big Slovak finally converted with 12 minutes left.

But Stars did not wilt and soon restored their two goal-advantage when a snapshot from Dom Hopkins on the point was fired home by Conor Redmond at the near post.

Sutton wilted and Stars comfortably held on before starting their celebrations at the final buzzer.

Afterwards their assistant coach Scott Gough said: “I’m ecstatic to be honest.

“Oxford brought around 150 supporters up here, and we had fans from Swindon and other teams cheering us on.

“So to play in front of a big crowd was great for all the guys.”

Stars completed their English National League campaign with a 3-0 defeat at Solent Devils on Saturday.

The result allowed the south coast side to finish runners-up ahead of Bracknell in South Division 2.

With one eye on their big championship game to come the following day, Stars fell to a goal in each period.

Richard Facey put Devils ahead from Alex Murray’s assist in the 11th minute before setting up the second for Mark Pitts in the 28th minute.

Jamie Fitzpatrick made it 3-0 in the last minute to inflict only Stars third defeat of the campaign.

They will face Bristol Pitbulls in a play-off quarter-final double-header this weekend, with the away leg on Saturday