North Leigh 2, Wantage Tn 1

JUST 48 hours after their crucial 1-0 victory at Slimbridge, North Leigh maintained their Premier Division title hopes with a narrow victory over a resilient Wantage Town on Saturday.

Slimbridge, who could only draw 1-1 at home to Hungerford Town, remain strong favourites for the championship, as they are four points behind North Leigh with three games in hand.

But so jittery has the Wiltshire's side's form been in recent weeks, that North Leigh are not without hope of stealing the crown.

A stunning volleyed goal from Kevin Lewis was the highglight of their win against Wantage.

However, the visitors took eighth-minute lead when a left-wing cross from Danny Keen was drilled into the roof of the net by Garry Hartley at the far post.

After adjusting to the pace and bounce on a firm pitch, Noth Leigh levelled on 33 minutes when a Simon Futcher free-kick into the Wantage area landed at the feet of Andy McCabe, who fired home from six yards.

Two minutes later came the winning goal as Lewis chested down a Futcher cross and volleyed into the far top corner of the Wantage net.

North Leigh piled on the pressure after the interval to try, but were thwarted on no fewer than six occasions by the woodwork.

Efforts from Lewis, Danny Wise, Chris Allen (twice) and Mark Threlfall all rebounded off post or bar.

Simon Futcher's penalty was the only goal as North Leigh beat Slimbridge on Thursday night.

Milton Utd 3, Highworth Tn 1

MILTON United completed a hat-trick of wins against Highworth - two in the league and one in the FA Vase - but they had to come from behind.

Highworth scored first after 24 minutes with a spectacular 25-yard shot fromTony Joyce, which rose and dipped past keeper Dave Tasker.

Milton had to wait until the 55th minute to equalise through the unlikely source of Dean Flockton, who launched a 50-foot high cross.

The ball dropped into the outstretched arms of keeper Ian Gill, who spilled it over the line.

Paul Davis gave Milton the lead on 65 minutes. He calmly thread his way into the Highworth defence and slotted the shot into the net.

If Vinnie Rusher had not got a slight touch on the ball, the third Milton goal could have been accredited to Tasker, who launched the ball from a drop kick in his area.

Gill came out to collect the ball, but Rusher touched it with the back of his head to direct it over the keeper.

Almondsbury Tn 5, Bicester Tn 1

BICESTER fell to their second heavy defeat in five days After taking the lead with an audacious long-range effort from the prolific Adam Hamp, Bicester trailed 2-1 at the break to home goals from Paul McElvaney and Ben Pope.

The lively Justin Bishop increased the home side's lead three minutes into the second half .

Substitute Dave Bailey scored with an excellent volley from a right wing's cross.

To rub salt in the wound, Almondsbury's fifth goal was scored by the home keeper Andy King.

He kicked the ball with such power that it evaded Bicester's keeper Tom McNamara, who was stranded near the halfway line.

Witney Utd 3, Fairford Tn 1

A SERIOUS ankle injury to Witney United player Christian Perkins caused a 30-minute hold-up in their Premier Division match at home to Fairford on Saturday.

The injury occurred in the 22nd minute when Perkins collapsed in pain.

Play was suspended, and it was soon clear that hospital treatment was needed.

Within 15 minutes, the Thames Valley Air Ambulance was landing on the pitch. After some time with the paramedics, Perkins was whisked off to hospital.

When play resumed after a short warm-up, Witney had the better of the play. However, they went behind in the 39th minute to a controversial goal.

John Edmunds lobbed Paul Tassell, with a shot that hit the bar and came down in the goalmouth.

The referee didn't give a goal, but the linesman, who was a long way back from play, said that the ball had crossed the line.

Frustration and a lack of discipline led to four Witney players being booked.

Within two minutes of the restart Mark Simms equalised.

Witney took the lead in the 58th minute when Nando Perna's free kick found the unmarked Jamie Butt, who headed home.

They completed the scoring in the 67th minute, when John McMahon and Butt set up Perna, whose low drive from inside the area found the corner of the net.

The final whistle eventually blew at around 5.25pm.