NORTHWAY Res overcame Division 2 rivals Woodstock Wanderers 3-0 to claim the Critchleys Upper Thames Valley League's Ridgeway Cup at Abingdon Town’s Culham Road, writes TIM SIRET.

Both clubs are locked together in a promotion fight in the league, but it was Northway who controlled the game as Woodstock struggled to find their usual rhythm, only threatening when player-manager Ben Fouracre threw himself on late in the game.

By then it was too late as man-of-the-match Sean Herman grabbed a brace with a goal in each half, assisted by Aaron Williams on both occasions.

Northway midfielder Ant Simpson capped a dominant display with a goal in between Herman’s double, converting a Lewis Colwell free-kick that Will Oliver had nodded on.

In a tight game of few chances it was Northway who capitalised on the few openings that were created to deservedly lift their first Upper Thames Valley League silverware in their brief six-year history.

In league action, Premier Division leaders Cowley Marsh Eagles crashed to their first league defeat of the season, going down 4-1 to in-form AFC Jericho.

Ben Curtis struck twice for the home side alongside goals from Jack Hayhurst and Aaron Williams, with Sekou Bangura’s effort all Eagles could muster in reply.

Iffley Harriers brushed Sporting Headington Academicals aside 5-2 in Division 1 to go top of the league.

Dominic Tolputt and Jack Barrett scored a brace each for the home side and Daniel Bond was also on target.

Division 2 leaders North Oxford Conservative Club were on the end of a 7-0 hammering at the hands of Black Swan.

Gary Hartley and Daniel Cox each netted twice, while Gary Brown, Kevin Secker and Frank Haines were also on target in a match the pace-setters will be keen to forget.

Patrick Issett scored a remarkable four-timer to give struggling Checkendon Exiles a 4-4 draw at home to Abingdon Exiles.

An own goal and efforts from Adam Godwin, Leigh McKiernan and John Monnery ensured the battle of the Exiles ended with a stalemate.

Sutton Wanderers picked up an important three points against fellow relegation candidates Standlake Garage, with goals from Steve Pyne, Phil Stringer, Chris McClements and Steve Dann giving the home side a 4-1 victory.

Matt Watson replied.

Second-placed Green Tree Walingford missed the chance to move within two points of the leaders as they were held to a goalless draw at Forest Hill.

John Mills hit a hat-trick to help Division 3 leaders Kennington Athletic record a 6-3 victory at Milton Mid-gets.

Robert Andrews, Jack Smith and Foley Sercombe also found the net for the visitors, while Colin Moffatt (2) and Peter Arbuthnott scored the Midgets’ goals.

Long Wittenham’s dismal run continued as they were beaten 5-2 at home to Abba Athletic.

Jimmy Deabill and Shane Probitts each struck twice and Mark Goode also scored, while Joe Murphy and Dan Osborne bagged the home side’s consolation efforts.