ASTON Rowant are one win away from a dream trip to Lord’s following a convincing victory over Ynystawe in the quarter-finals yesterday.

In front of more than 500 spectators, Rowant overcame the Welsh visitors by seven wickets with six overs to spare to secure their place in the last four for the first time since 1984.

Their opponents are Hertfordshire champions Reed, who beat Bledlow Village and will now host Rowant on Sunday, August 6, with a Lord’s final awaiting the winners.

Ynystawe, who brought 200 fans to the game, were always struggling following a horrendous start after being put in to bat.

Opener Tom Blake was run out in the first over after smart work by Sasha Barras.

Then in the next over, his partner Tom Davies was caught by Barras, also for nought, off Dom Whatman.

When Whatman then dismissed Brendon McKay for another duck in the sixth over, the visitors were a disastrous 4-3.

With Wes Morrick giving nothing away at the other end and Adam Muttitt producing an effective spell of off-spin, Ynystawe faced a long haul to recovery.

It was led by Matthew Blake, a Swansea City Aademy footballer, who put together a innings of 45 to ensure they passed three figures.

A late flurry took them up to an under-par total of 141 from their 40 overs.

Morrick conceded only ten runs from his eight overs, while Whatman returned super figures of 2-13.

In reply, Rowant soon lost Andrew Tolson, but his fellow opener Tim Morgan was then joined by Chris Watling, who kept the score ticking over in a stand of 77.

After Morgan departed for 37, Watling upped the rate, reaching his 50 off 56 with one six and seven fours.

Alex Jewell kept him company in a stand of 39, before falling just three runs short of the target.

Morrick completed the victory by striking his first ball – the last of the 34th over – to the boundary to spark the celebrations.

Watling, who finished 59 not out, and Morrick left the field to a standing ovation.

Among those witnessing the scenes was John Pearson, who captained the 1984 side, which went down to Hampshire opponents Hursley Park in the semi-finals.

All the village will be hoping for better this time.