Oxford Utd 2, Shrewsbury Tn 0 If you thought Simon Heslop’s goal on Saturday was good, Tuesday night’s was even better. By a country mile.

And his eighth-minute blockbuster was the catalyst that gave Oxford United a vital three points and the perfect filip ahead of Sunday’s giant derby clash with Swindon.

The strike oozed class – and for the first time this season, U’s boss Chris Wilder will be pleased of the contribution of the referee!

Paul McLaren’s attempted pass rebounded off the backside of official Roger East, but was picked up by Asa Hall. His pass to Heslop saw the midfielder under pressure 35 yards out, but what a way to respond – by lashing home an unstoppable, dipping effort that flew over Ben Smith and into the top corner.

It was a simply sensational strike, not out of place in many divisions above this.

And United’s second goal seven minutes after the break was well worked too.

Hall’s header set James Constable free, and he unselfishly tried to feed the unmarked Guy in front of goal.

His attempted pass was blocked, but when the ball rebounded back to him, Constable again tried to play in the on-loan striker – this time getting the pass spot-on, Guy side-footing home from ten yards.

All that mattered to United was gaining those first three points, and they will now head up the A420 full of confidence.

United made two changes from the side that drew against Bradford, McLaren coming in for his first start of the season and Constable recalled to the attack.

The inclusion of McLaren, who had not featured in any United squad so far this season, may have been seen by some as a slight risk, but his knitting together of the play in the holding midfielder’s role was pivotal in this success.

Some slack United defending saw Marvin Morgan get the visitors’ first shot on target, a weak header easily saved by Ryan Clarke.

After Heslop fired home, Liam Davis showed neat footwork to make room down the left, and his vicious shot from just inside the area forced Smith into a sharp save.

A neat one-two between Constable and Guy saw last season’s top-scorer hit a left-foot shot that Smith parried, and Guy then completely missed his kick when the rebound fell to him.

Lionel Ainsworth fizzed a drive across goal at the start of the second half as Shrewsbury began well.

After getting the second goal, Wilder withdrew Deane Smalley and brought on Peter Leven to bolster the midfield.

Michael Duberry went on a charge forwards which was ended by Matt Richards – who was booked for the foul – and Leven’s resulting free-kick was well saved by Smith.

McLaren was taken off with 18 minutes left after putting in a great shift, Andrew Whing reverting to midfield, with Damian Batt coming on at right back.

By now United’s fans were in full flow, and they voiced their approval when a super flowing move ended with Leven shooting over following good work by Guy, who was playing with great confidence.

It was a case of seeing out the game by the time Alfie Potter came on for Heslop with 11 minutes remaining.

United’s play in the final minutes was outstanding. Moving the ball quickly, looking solid at the back and lively in attack, this was exactly what the doctor ordered.

Now for Sunday...