Abingdon Utd 5 (McMahon 6, 90, Odhiambo 31, Melledew 40, Mills 44) Cinderford Tn 4 (Billing 4, O’Sullivan 68, Miller 85, Maplin 90)

JOHN McMahon hit an injury-time winner to give Abingdon United a dramatic victory over Cinderford Town at Northcourt Road – and keep them top of Division 1 South & West.

Pete Macklin had just equalised for Cinderford when Abingdon broke away and a four-man move ended with McMahon smashed the ball home to send the home side into raptures.

It was a remarkable finish to an incident-packed game, which got off to a controversial start.

In the first minute, referee Dave Richardson awarded a penalty to Cinderford only to be met by howls of protest from the home side.

He then changed his mind and gave a free-kick to Abingdon as Cinderford’s Mick McCootie admitted it was his arm that touched the ball, and was booked for his honesty.

Seconds later, Town went a goal up as they carved through the United defence on the left again, and the ball was squared to Adam Billing to shoot home.

But Abingdon were level two minutes later when McMahon fired in a fierce drive, which gave keeper Kieron Blackburn no chance.

United keeper Jon Beames then made a fine block from McCootie, before Abingdon then took the lead when Cinderford failed to clear Steve Davis’s cross and Anaclet Odhiambo lashed the ball in.

Beames thwarted McCootie again as he raced through, before United went further ahead with captain Tom Melledew scoring direct from a free-kick.

McCootie was foiled by Beames in a third one-on-one situation with his shot rebounding on to the striker and rolling wide of the goal.

Abingdon went further ahead on the stroke of half-time when John Mills rose to beat Blackburn to the ball and headed it inside a post.

Chris Harper forced a good reaction save from Blackburn in a rare Abingdon attack in the second half.

With Steve Davis down injured, Cinderford took advantage and Sam O’Sullivan hooked the ball into the top corner.

Sam Elkins came on for Davis, but Town were in the ascendancy and Kris Miller steered made it 4-3.

It looked like Abingdon would have to settle for a point when Macklin equalised, but McMahon had the last word.

Abingdon Utd: Beames, Carnell, Organ (Horsell 60), Peirson, Franklin, Davis (Elkins 63), Harper (Gardner 68), McMahon, Melledew, Mills, Odhiambo. Subs not used: Younie, Tucker.

Attendance: 103.