BILLY Bodin was denied the winning goal on his 100th Oxford United appearance as home side Shrewsbury Town claimed a late point on Good Friday.

United looked set to take all three points upon their return from the international break, thanks to a lead given to them by Bodin eight minutes into the second half.

However, Jack Price struck with eight minutes to go, to ensure the U’s had to leave Shropshire with just a point.

Des Buckingham made just the one change to the side which won 2-0 at Port Vale before the international break, as Mark Harris replaced the injured Will Goodwin up front.

There was just one alteration to the bench as well, with Jordan Thorniley among the substitutes. It meant that both Marcus McGuane and Fin Stevens were again left out of the matchday squad, as they were at Vale.

Although it was goalless at the break, that didn’t mean the opening 45 minutes were light on chances, as both sides had opportunities to take the lead.

The first sight of goal came within the first two minutes, when Aiden O’Brien pinged a half-volley wide after the ball fell to him on the edge of the penalty area.

Cameron Brannagan smashed a 30-yard free kick comfortably over, prior to what was arguably United’s best chance of the first half.

Ruben Rodrigues took on a loose ball and played through Mark Harris, who went through towards goal, but was denied by the feet of Marko Marosi.

Owen Dale then tested the goalkeeper when he cut in onto his left foot and forced Marosi into a stop.

At the other end, Jamie Cumming produced a super diving save after 21 minutes, when he sprung across his goal to tip away an arrowed Carl Winchester shot from 25 yards.

Brannagan then sent a left-footed strike just wide, before a glorious chance was presented to the home side.

O’Brien received the ball from Dan Udoh in a central position inside the penalty box, but he miscued his strike and saw the effort drift harmlessly away from danger.

Former United centre back Chey Dunkley made an outstanding block just before the half hour mark when he got in the way of a Rodrigues shot from inside the area.

Udoh then took on a loose ball, and drove forward, before blasting over from a central position 20 yards out.

It was the Shrews who ended the half the brighter, as Dunkley headed over from a corner, while Winchester arced a shot over from the edge of the box.

However, United took the lead eight minutes into the second period via a Bodin strike which cannoned off the underside of the crossbar.

The move began when Elliott Moore directed a long ball over the top for Josh Murphy, who looked to go round Marosi, and then pulled it back for Harris, who teed up Bodin for the strike from the centre of the penalty area.

Five minutes later, Moore directed a header wide from a Brannagan corner as the U’s quickly looked to double their advantage.

The Shrews though came agonisingly close to an equaliser on 63 minutes, when Winchester found the post with a shot while he was laid on the turf. Dunkley then headed wide from the following corner after the U’s had cleared their lines.

Buckingham soon made his first changes, bringing on both Josh McEachran and Marcus Browne, for Rodrigues and Harris respectively.

The heavens opened during the final quarter of an hour, with Dale sending a left-footed strike across the slick turf with 12 minutes to go, however the shot slipped wide.

As the rain then cleared, the home side found an equaliser when substitute Jack Price saw a lovely half-volley from 20 yards out sneak through the crowd and into the bottom corner.

United acted quickly to try and restore their lead, and had two chances to do so in quick succession, when Bodin was denied one-on-one with Marosi, before Brannagan saw his rebound effort cleared off the line.

Six minutes of stoppage time were signalled, with Joe Bennett bending a free kick inches wide as the clock ticked down, however the U’s had to settle for a point.

Shrewsbury Town (4-2-3-1): Marosi; Feeney, Dunkley, Flanagan, Benning; Winchester, Hinchy (Price 71); Bloxham (Idowu 71), Perry (Bennett 89), O’Brien (Sobowale 71); Udoh.

Unused subs: Burgoyne, Sraha, Bowman.

Booked: Winchester, Flanagan, Marosi, Price.

Oxford United (4-3-3): Cumming; Long, Moore, Brown, Bennett; Rodrigues (McEachran 67), Brannagan, Bodin (Henry 87); Dale (Goodrham 87), Harris (Browne 67), Murphy.

Unused subs: Eastwood, Thorniley, Leigh.

Booked: None.

Referee: Sam Purkiss (London).

Attendance: 7,340 (1,141 away).