OXFORD United saw their six-game unbeaten run come to an end after losing at home to Leyton Orient.

Tyler Goodrham’s clever backheel in the six-yard box gave United the lead after 20 minutes, however the away side hit back with two goals in the second half.

Ollie O’Neill got the equaliser six minutes into the second period after the U’s failed to clear their lines, before George Moncur put his side ahead with 13 minutes to go.

Des Buckingham made two changes to the side which drew 2-2 at home to Northampton Town in midweek, as Jay Matete and Goodrham came into the side in place of Joe Bennett and Billy Bodin, who both dropped to the bench.

The first chance of the game went the way of the visitors, when Ruel Sotiriou was denied by Jamie Cumming at the goalkeeper’s near post, with Moncur allowed to travel at the heart of the U’s defence, before feeding Sotiriou down the left channel.

O’Neill then sent a low 20-yard shot wide, before Cameron Brannagan directed a long-range free kick round the wall at the other end, however Sol Brynn was able to grab it.

United took the lead two minutes later though, following a clever passage of play.

Mark Harris played Ruben Rodrigues into space down the right-hand side, with the Portuguese midfielder crossing for Goodrham, who cheekily backheeled the ball inside the six-yard box and past Brynn, via a deflection off Ethan Galbraith.

If awarded to Goodrham, the effort was his tenth goal in all competitions this season.

Just like on Tuesday night though, the opening goal took the sting out of the game a bit, with the next opportunity falling eight minutes before the break.

A sloppy ball from Matete, not his first in the opening 45 minutes, led to an Orient counter-attack, from which Sotiriou slid in Moncur, who hit straight at Cumming at the Chelsea loanee’s near post.

Idris El Mizouni then drove at the U’s backline, before feeding Moncur, whose shot was palmed away by Cumming.

A half-volley from Shaq Forde bounced off the turf and through a crowd of bodies, forcing a smart stop out of Cumming with three minutes left in the first half.

Cumming was beaten six minutes into the second period as Orient found themselves a leveller.

United failed to clear their lines, with the ball finding its way to O’Neill, who arrowed a low effort into the bottom corner from just inside the penalty area.

Cumming then had to be at his best to prevent the away side edging ahead, when he sprung himself across his goal to tip a 25-yard Tom James free kick round the post, as the ball looked destined to nestle into the top corner.

Buckingham’s first changes saw him introduce Owen Dale and Will Goodwin for Goodrham and Harris respectively, with the alterations seeing Murphy go out to the left, with Dale on the right.

Orient nudged in front with 13 minutes to go, following some slack defending on United’s part.

The visitors were allowed to make their way into the penalty box, before Moncur was afforded the space to pick his spot and drive the ball past Cumming.

Rodrigues forced a fine save out of Brynn with a header inside the box, while Brannagan shot wide from 25 yards as the U’s looked for an immediate route back into the game.

Orient boss Richie Wellens was sent off by referee Martin Woods, after he held onto the ball when it went out for a United throw-in, prior to seven minutes of stoppage time being added on, but the U’s failed to find a late equaliser which their performance did not deserve.

Oxford United (4-3-3): Cumming; Long, Negru, Brown, Leigh; Rodrigues, Matete (McGuane 75), Brannagan; Murphy (Bodin 75), Harris (Goodwin 63), Goodrham (Dale 63).

Unused subs: Eastwood, Bennett, Stevens.

Booked: Murphy, Brown.

Leyton Orient (4-2-3-1): Brynn; Galbraith (Sanders 90+2), Beckles, Cooper, James; Pratley (Hunt 79), El Mizouni; Forde (Edwards 85), Moncur, O’Neill; Sotiriou.

Unused subs: Howes, Sweeney, Pigott, Adu-Adjei.

Booked: O’Neill, El Mizouni, Sotiriou, Cooper, Forde, Sanders.

Referee: Martin Woods (Lancashire).

Attendance: 8,884 (1,125 visitors).