OXFORD United survived a series of first half aerial onslaughts to leave Wycombe Wanderers with a goalless draw.

Des Buckingham made three changes to the side which won 4-2 at home to Wigan Athletic in midweek, with two of those enforced.

Elliott Moore and Marcus McGuane were ruled out with hip and quad knocks respectively, while Owen Dale dropped to the bench.

Stephan Negru, Ruben Rodrigues and Tyler Goodrham all came into the starting XI, while Moore’s absence meant Cameron Brannagan skippered the U’s side.

Jamie Cumming was called into action with a couple of important stops with his feet in the opening 45 minutes, at first when Beryly Lubala fed Dale Taylor through the middle after 12 minutes had been played.

The ball went out for a corner, and before it was taken, referee Simon Mather pulled up, meaning fourth official Marc Wilson had to replace him.

When the corner was taken, Cumming punched away the Kieran Sadlier delivery from underneath his crossbar, before the latter then looped a shot over when the ball found its way back to him in the next phase of play.

At the other end, Josh Murphy shot just wide in United’s first attempt, with 26 minutes on the clock.

Goodrham pinched the ball on the left-hand side, with it falling to Rodrigues, who played it to Mark Harris, who then slid across Murphy on the right wing.

The former Cardiff City winger cut inside and bent a low shot narrowly wide of Max Stryjek’s right-hand post.

Sadlier then beat Sam Long twice, before playing the ball into the box, where Taylor was denied by a good stop via Cumming’s feet.

With nine minutes to go until the break, Rodrigues chopped inside and shot narrowly wide from the edge of the penalty area.

Jack Grimmer tested Cumming at the back post from yet another Chairboys corner, before Sadlier spun and shot wide from Lubala’s header at the back post.

Six minutes of stoppage time were signalled, and halfway through them came the biggest chance of the half.

Sadlier slid the ball across for Lubala, who poked wide from close range.

The final action of the half saw Negru head wide from a Brannagan corner.

Buckingham made a switch at half-time, introducing Will Goodwin for Murphy. It saw a tweak in shape for United, as Goodrham moved to the right, with Rodrigues towards the left, but floating infield, allowing Greg Leigh to bomb on. Goodwin meanwhile went up front with Harris.

The first opportunity of the second period went the way of the hosts, as Josh Scowen’s cross from the right travelled across the face of goal, with Sadlier firing into the sidenetting at the back post.

Greg Leigh then did well to keep the ball in play at the byline, and clip a cross to the back post, where Goodrham headed over.

It was the youngster’s final involvement in the game prior to being replaced by Billy Bodin.

A sharp counter-attack saw Harris get in down the left and play the ball across for Rodrigues, however the hosts got a foot on the ball to prevent a shot on goal.

The U’s sensed a swing of momentum in their favour, as Brannagan warmed the fingers of Stryjek with a stinging effort from the left channel of the penalty area, however no breakthrough could be found.

Wycombe Wanderers (4-2-3-1): Stryjek; Grimmer, Low, Tafazolli, Vincent-Young; Scowen (Butcher 66), Potts (Leahy 79); McCleary (Wheeler 78), Taylor, Sadlier (Campbell 86); Lubala (Kone 66).

Unused subs: Ravizzoli, Lonwijk.

Booked: None.

Oxford United (4-2-3-1): Cumming; Long, Negru, Brown, Leigh; Brannagan, Matete; Murphy (Goodwin 46), Rodrigues, Goodrham (Bodin 69); Harris.

Unused subs: Eastwood, Thorniley, Bennett, McEachran, Dale.

Booked: Brannagan, Goodrham, Rodrigues.

Referee: Simon Mather (Manchester)

Attendance: 6,781 (1,752 away).