OXFORD United moved into the Sky Bet League One top six after coming from behind in a six-goal thriller at home to Wigan Athletic.

Jordan Jones gave the Latics the lead with four minutes to go until the half-time break, after waltzing his way into the penalty box, before Josh Murphy levelled matters deep into stoppage time with a low strike from the edge of the area.

Cameron Brannagan’s deflected effort put United ahead 10 minutes into the second period, before Ruben Rodrigues looked to make it a comfortable final quarter of an hour when he tapped home from inside the six-yard box.

However, Thelo Aasgaard headed in substitute Jonny Smith’s cross from close range with eight minutes to play, ensuring a nervy end to the encounter.

Those nerves were put to bed four minutes into stoppage time though, when Tyler Goodrham lashed in a lovely half-volley from an awkward angle.

Des Buckingham made three changes to the side which drew 1-1 at Blackpool, as Jay Matete, Owen Dale and Murphy came into the side for Tyler Burey, Goodrham and Rodrigues, who all dropped to the bench.

In coming into the team, Matete and Dale both made their first starts for the U’s.

The opening exchanges were light on much in the way of activity, with Charlie Goode unable to stretch enough at the back post from a left-wing free kick and a Brannagan free kick from wide on the left taking a nick to force a U’s corner.

Elliott Moore made a good block to thwart a Aasgaard cross, before Luke Chambers forced a fine save out of Jamie Cumming.

The move started when Murphy played the ball infield straight to Aasgaard, who led a Latics counter-attack, with the ball finally making its way to Chambers, whose shot from 25 yards was well palmed away to safety by Cumming.

Martial Godo was then stopped by Ciaron Brown after running into the United penalty box, with the Fulham loanee striking wide with the rebound.

With nine minutes to go in the first half, Brannagan came the closest to opening the scoring when his 20-yard piledriver smashed the post and flew away to safety for the visitors.

Babajide Adeeko’s low strike flew wide at the other end, before Jones opened the scoring.

The Northern Ireland international slalomed his way past Sam Long as if he wasn’t there, and then produced a lovely finish across Cumming, to hand the away side the lead.

However, the U’s found an equaliser in the final action of the first half.

Three minutes of stoppage time were signalled, and deep into them, Murphy collected the ball from Mark Harris and arrowed a clever strike from the edge of the penalty box, cutting the ball across Sam Tickle and into the bottom corner for his first league goal in United colours.

Buckingham made a switch at the break, introducing Goodrham for Dale, who collected a booking in the opening 45 minutes.

The substitution meant Goodrham went out to the left-hand side, while Murphy shuffled across to the right.

Ten minutes into the second period, United went in front after a spell of patient and intricate play led to Brannagan finding space 20 yards out, where he saw a low arrowed strike take a nick and nestle past Tickle.

Buckingham’s second change saw Rodrigues replace Matete with 67 minutes on the clock, with Billy Bodin coming on for Murphy eight minutes later.

Rodrigues soon opened up a two-goal advantage for United, tapping home inside the six-yard box after Goodrham had cut inside and hit the post with a right-footed strike.

However, the Latics soon hit back, when Aasgaard attacked Smith’s cross from the left and planted a header past Cumming.

The visitors sent bodies forward in the search for an equaliser, with Callum McManaman testing Cumming with a low effort inside the penalty box, as Sam Long then cleared the loose ball from danger.

Goodrham made sure of the points in stoppage time, following a neat U’s counter-attack.

Rodrigues slid the ball through for Harris, whose shot was blocked, with the ball falling to Goodrham, who hit it first time beyond Tickle.

Oxford United (4-2-3-1): Cumming; Long, Moore, Brown, Leigh; McGuane, Matete (Rodrigues 67); Dale (Goodrham 46), Brannagan, Murphy (Bodin 75); Harris (Bennett 90+6).

Unused subs: Eastwood, Thorniley, Burey.

Booked: Dale, Moore, Brannagan.

Wigan Athletic (3-4-3): Tickle; Hughes, Goode, Chambers; Clare (J. Smith 70), Adeeko (Magennis 70), M. Smith, Jones (McManaman 70); Godo, Kelman (Sze 58), Aasgaard.

Unused subs: Amos, Kerr, S. Smith.

Booked: Hughes, Adeeko, Jones, Sze.

Referee: Jeremy Simpson (Lancashire)

Attendance: 7,320 (278 visitors).