OXFORD United Women made it through to the third round of the FA Cup with a win at home to Dartford.

Zoe Barratt opened the scoring midway through the second half, before adding her second of the afternoon at the death.

Jade Charlton made a fantastic save early on, tipping over as Lacy Liggett arrived at the back post to attack Shelly Provan’s cross.

United continued with wave after wave of attack, Shaunna Jenkins heading Sarah King’s effort back across goal, but just wide of the post, before King herself saw a strike cleared off the line.

King had another effort denied by a last-ditch challenge, as the sides entered the break level.

READ ALSO: Ciaron Brown on why return of Kyle Edwards is ‘massive’ for Oxford United

The second period continued with the same trend as the opening 45 minutes, with Liggett denied by Charlton from within the six-yard box five minutes after the restart.

Cecily Wellesley-Smith, filling in at right back, then bent a left-footed effort wide.

The U’s took the lead though after Jenna Legg slid in for the ball and played it through to Barratt, who rode the challenge and tucked the ball under Charlton to give United the advantage with 66 minutes on the clock.

Moments later, Barratt almost had a second when she hit a spectacular effort over Charlton, however the ball slammed against the top of the post.

With quarter of an hour to go, Liggett played in Barratt, but she was denied again by Charlton, and then a sliding clearance at the second time of asking.

Legg then struck the crossbar from 30 yards out, while King hit the post late on as Dartford tired.

Barratt grabbed her brace with seconds left, rounding Charlton and finishing into the empty net.

Oxford Mail: Click here to sign up to the Oxford United newsletter Click here to sign up to the Oxford United newsletter (Image: Newsquest)

United manager Sam Rose said: “I thought we were excellent. It was a really tough game and credit to Dartford. They made it really difficult for us to create any open, clear-cut chances in the first half in particular.

“We had some moments that we should’ve done better and at half-time I said to the players ‘try and stay calm, and keep moving the ball with some quality and tempo’.

“We got frustrated in the first half, you could see that on the players’ faces.

“We had to reset and we tweaked a couple of things. It did change the game, the front of the box opened up a little bit and that’s where our first goal came from, which was pleasing.

“Behind the ball, we were really good. Our two centre halves against their number nine, who is quick and athletic, and a handful.

“I’m really pleased that we stayed patient and got our rewards in the end.”