CHINNOR came close to their first victory since October as second-placed Cambridge held on for a 31-27 victory.

Although their winless run in National League 1 was extended to four games, a gutsy display saw the Thame-based side leave with two bonus points.

It took Cambridge three minutes to open the scoring, with powerful winger Kwaku Asiedu charging over from 30m – fly half Steffan James converting.

Chinnor responded well to the early setback and went on to lead 12-7 after 17 minutes. Jason Worrall finished well out wide, before Nick Smith started and finished a superb counter from his own half. The full back converted his own try as the visitors deservedly went ahead.

READ ALSO: Billy Bodin on track to hit goal target for the season after FA Cup brace

The home side replied through Asiedu, but Chinnor scored again for a 17-14 advantage at the break, Worrall crossing for his 12th try of the season.

Cambridge emerged from the break with the bit between their teeth, dominating the opening quarter of an hour to lead 31-17, courtesy of tries from Asiedu (2) and Scott Lloyd.

Chinnor refused to give in and took the game to their hosts. Will Feeney crossed for a brilliant try after collecting his own chip and chase before Smith’s penalty cut the deficit to four points, setting up a thrilling final 15 minutes.

Although the visitors had Josh McNulty sent to the sin-bin, they defended well to keep Cambridge out and ended the match in the ascendancy – but the hosts held on.

READ MORE: Female referees blow whistle to kick-start campaign

Chinnor meanwhile have added Max Clementson and Grant Hughes to their ranks.

The duo played at this summer’s Commonwealth Games for England and Scotland respectively.

Clementson rejoins Chinnor for a second spell after a year away with England Sevens.

The back row forward scored four tries in eight games while with Chinnor last season, and joins on a short-term deal as injury cover for Ben Manning.

In National 2 East, Henley Hawks were beaten 28-24 at Sevenoaks.

Oxford Quins lost 50-17 at home to Camberley, while Banbury were thrashed 102-22 at Wimbledon in Regional 1 South Central.

Witney beat Reading 38-22 in Regional 2 Tribute South Central, and Grove were beaten 61-7 at home to Stow-on-the-Wold.

Chinnor III’s 100 per cent start in Counties 1 Tribute Southern North continued with a 24-8 win at home to Milton Keynes.

Bicester won 69-17 at home to Thatcham, Wallingford recorded a 45-0 victory at home to High Wycombe, and Gosford All Blacks lost 34-7 at home to Marlow.