ALL but a single place in next season’s Sky Bet League One have been confirmed following the culmination of the play-offs in the third tier.

Sunderland beat Wycombe Wanderers 2-0 at Wembley to seal their return to the Championship following a four-season absence.

Goals in either half from Elliot Embleton and Ross Stewart ensured the Black Cats tasted triumph in a play-off campaign at the seventh time of asking.

The Wearsiders had previously lost three finals and three semi-finals in the play-offs.

READ ALSO: Karl Robinson expects League One to be even better next season

However, Alex Neil’s side got off to a strong start with Embleton finding the net after 12 minutes.

The midfielder, who scored against Oxford United during the 3-3 draw away against Blackpool in last year’s play-off semi-final second leg, burst forward from deep and unleashed a powerful effort from 25 yards.

Saturday’s final was a year to the day since Embleton netted at Bloomfield Road, when he equalised four minutes after Matty Taylor had given the U’s a seventh minute lead on the night.

With 11 minutes left on the clock, Stewart made it 2-0 with his 26th goal of the season.

The Scottish striker fired low into the bottom of the corner, after being set up by Alex Pritchard.

Sunderland’s win sees them join Wigan Athletic and Rotherham United in achieving promotion to the Championship.

Peterborough United, Derby County and Barnsley were all relegated from the second tier at the end of the season and will play League One football next season.

Gillingham, Doncaster Rovers, AFC Wimbledon and Crewe Alexandra all dropped out of League One, with Forest Green Rovers, Exeter City and Bristol Rovers finishing in the automatic promotion places in League Two.

It means there is just one spot left in next season’s third tier with the League Two play-off final to be contested between Mansfield Town and Port Vale on Saturday, May 28.

Mansfield beat Northampton Town 3-1 on aggregate in their semi-final, while Port Vale won 6-5 on penalties after drawing 2-2 with Swindon Town over the two legs.