KARL Robinson says he hopes to be at Oxford United for at least another two years as he celebrates his fourth anniversary at the club today.

It is four years to the day since Robinson left Charlton Athletic by mutual consent in the morning and signed with the U’s later that afternoon.

His appointment ended the club’s 59-day search for a replacement for Pep Clotet, who had only been given the job in the summer.

Robinson had been the odds-on favourite for more than a week, but agreeing an exit from the Addicks proved problematic.

Eventually though, Robinson signed on his daughter’s birthday and recalled not being able to be there for the occasion, as he was completing the deal with United.

Read again: Karl Robinson becomes new Oxford United manager

“I’ve been very proud to manage this football club for four years and hopefully people see it as a positive,” said Robinson.

“That’s never for me to comment on, but what I’ve tried to do is bring some pride back to the county and a little bit of sense of community spirit and togetherness as well as playing good football.

“It’s what I’ve done for 12 years, play football that I’ve enjoyed watching.

“It’s something that I’m looking forward to and hopefully we can have many more years together.

“That’s part of the plan here, this wasn’t a quick fix – this was a long-term investment for myself and the football club.”

Robinson arrived at the U’s with the club seven places below Charlton and just five points above the relegation zone in Sky Bet League One, leading some to question the move.

The Addicks though were involved in an uncertain takeover process, while Sumrith ‘Tiger’ Thanakarnjanasuth had completed a takeover deal at United just a month earlier.

Read again: Sumrith Thanakarnjanasuth completes deal to replace Darryl Eales as chairman

Upon arriving, Tiger made hiring a new manager his priority job, with former Wales striker Craig Bellamy holding talks with the club, and ex-Arsenal defender Sol Campbell being turned down for the job.

The U’s finished Robinson’s first season in 16th, while Charlton made the play-offs but lost to Shrewsbury Town in the semi-finals.

“A lot of eyebrows were raised when I came here, I remember driving from Charlton to here when I resigned and I felt it was right for Charlton at that time,” said Robinson.

“Equally I remember getting a lot of criticism on a certain sports channel for going down to Oxford, I thought that’s a little bit disrespectful.

“This was for my family first and foremost, it was for my daughter, but I believed in the owners’ message to me.

“The owners have certainly stuck to their word.

“I think everybody’s now looking at it and thinking it wasn’t that much of a bad decision.

“I want to stay here for a long time, I’ve got another two years on my contract and that’ll hopefully take me to six years.

“You have to keep winning games, you can talk as much as you want but you’ve got to win games of footy, that’s part of staying in the industry.”