May 16, 2010: Oxford United 3, York City 1

IF Oxford United taste Wembley heartbreak again this season it will undoubtedly hurt, but that is nothing compared to the impact defeat would have had in 2010.

Back then, the Sky Bet League One play-offs were a long way away.

The U's had enjoyed a largely positive 17 months under Chris Wilder, but defeat to York City would have condemned them to a fifth season out of the Football League.

A wobble in March dashed their hopes of winning the Blue Square Premier title, but it meant United knew for some time they would be contesting the play-offs.

LISTEN: How Oxford United reached Wembley last season

The U's had failed at the semi-final stage in 2007 and the thought of another near-miss was unbearable - as the late Jim Smith explained.

"It is I think, without a shadow of a doubt, the biggest game in Oxford United's history," the legendary former manager said.

United beat Rushden & Diamonds 3-1 on aggregate to reach Wembley for only the second time in 117 years, where York awaited them after getting past Luton Town.

They were backed by 33,000 supporters - 80 per cent of the crowd - and those in yellow had plenty to cheer early on.

Matt Green broke the deadlock after 15 minutes, smashing into the top corner from the edge of the box with York goalkeeper Michael Ingham way off his line.

Read also: Our combined Oxford United and Blackpool XI

It was 2-0 six minutes later, the goalscorer playing in strike partner James Constable to dispatch his 26th goal of the season.

The U's were in control, only to see their lead halved when Ryan Clarke misjudged Alex Lawless's corner in the Wembley rain, the ball slipping through his grasp and over the line.

The second half was as tense as you can get, with the visitors threatening to equalise and United passing up opportunities of their own.

But it set up one of the great U's moments, as a 91st-minute corner was cleared to set Alfie Potter and Sam Deering racing across the Wembley turf.

Potter advanced over the halfway line and fed his teammate, who returned the ball to allow the winger to write his name in United history.

The U's were back on the coupon.

United: Clarke, Batt, Creighton, Wright, Tonkin, Bulman, Chapman (Day 87), Clist, Green (Potter 68), Constable, Midson (Deering 78).