OXFORD United Women pushed Charlton Athletic all the way before enduring extra-time heartbreak in the Vitaly Women's FA Cup.

The U's matched their FA Women's Championship opponents throughout the fourth-round tie, but Katie Godden's long-range effort halfway through the additional period secured a 2-1 win.

Charlton had earlier gone ahead through Beth Lumsden, before a horrendous mix-up between goalkeeper Eartha Cummings and Jaime Gotch saw the latter head into her own net to level the scores.

But that was as good as it got for United and the defeat marks the end of their 2020/21 season, after FA Women's National League Southern Premier was curtailed last month. 

The higher-division side unsurprisingly started brighter and were the first to go close, as Alice Griffiths' effort from just outside the box was saved by Rose Kite.

United's goalkeeper was busy in the early stages and after 16 minutes she was picking the ball out of her net.

Kite could not push Ella Powell's cross away from danger and Lumsden was in the right place to finish from close range.

Daisy McLachlan was the U's brightest player as they grew into the game and the winger helped force the equaliser seven minutes later.

With the United player breathing down her neck, Gotch tried to head the ball back to goalkeeper Cummings - but only succeeded in sending it past her teammate and into the net.

Lois Heuchan then flicked a header wide of the post, before Cummings palmed Kayleigh Hines' free-kick behind.

It signalled a spell of U's pressure, but the contest remained fairly even as the sides reached the break level.

Charlton once again began better when the teams emerged, although their threat to Kite's goal mostly amounted to crosses into the box.

United came closest to scoring a second just after the hour mark as captain Lauren Haynes' corner was sent towards goal, only for Jess King to clear off the line.

The visitors made a triple substitution and Godden, one of the replacements, looked particularly dangerous, before Taome Oliver replaced Georgia Brown for the U's.

King missed a great chance to make it 2-1 when she poked over the bar following good build-up play with 17 minutes left, as normal time began to run out.

There were chances at both ends as extra-time approached, with Carly Johns missing from a tight angle before Ellie Dorey sent a half-volley just over.

Both sides rung the changes early in the additional period, with Lily Stevens replacing Johns.

But Charlton continued to threaten and the lively Godden struck the killer blow on the stroke of half-time.

The substitute had plenty to do when she received the ball outside the penalty area, but escaped the attentions of the United defence before beating Kite from 20 yards.

Cheryl Williams, Emily Wallace and Brittany Jeal replaced Cat Beaver, Georgia Hayes and Gemma Sims as Liam Gilbert tried to rouse one last push from his players, but they could not take the game to penalties.