OXFORD United left it late against Wigan Athletic, after a floodlight fire delayed the second half of the game by 40 minutes.

After Callum Lang put the visitors ahead, goals from Sam Winnall and Elliott Moore proved the difference as the U’s climbed to 7th.

Karl Robinson made five changes to the team that won in midweek at Bristol Rovers.

Sam Long and James Henry were not involved after going off at the Memorial Stadium so Anthony Forde and Liam Kelly came in, while Robinson switched his front three completely – Mark Sykes, Brandon Barker and Sam Winnall in for Elliot Lee, Mide Shodipo and Matty Taylor.

The visitors began the brighter with a couple of early crosses from Thelo Aasgaard and Tendayi Darikwa, with Curtis Tilt seeing a shot blocked from inside the box after four minutes.

After a sloppy start, the U’s slowly got themselves into the game and Alex Gorrin unleashed a shot from the edge of the box with almost quarter of an hour played.

The wind got hold of the midfielder’s attempt and forced Jamie Jones in the Wigan goal to parry the ball out for a corner.

Barker stamped his authority on the game, taking on players and on 25 minutes, he toe-poked an effort from the edge of the box which Jones comfortably dealt with.

Within 60 seconds, Wigan were down the other end and Rob Atkinson had to time his challenge perfectly to stop Lang, who had raced into the United box.

Cameron Brannagan then hit a shot wide after a U’s corner on 37 minutes, and moments later Barker cut inside from the left and had a shot blocked.

With five minutes to go until the break, there were half-hearted calls for a penalty after Barker was fouled, although it looked like the ball had already crossed the line for a goal kick.

At the other end, Luke Robinson fizzed a vicious effort from the edge of the box over the bar.

Robinson then delivered a wicked ball from the left which Scott Wootton headed over.

After all the drama of the interval, both times took 10 minutes to get back into the swing of things, the first opportunity was one the U’s made themselves.

Atkinson powered forward from the halfway line and struck a low shot from the edge of the penalty box which Jones got down to.

The U’s were behind moments later. Barker was dispossessed by Aasgaard, who played in Lang and the Wigan striker smashed home from eight yards.

On 65 minutes, Winnall was played in by Sykes, and although he looked offside, the striker took too long getting the ball out his feet and a Wigan defender was able to get back to make a block.

Two minutes later, Robinson looked to his bench, bringing on forward players Lee and Shodipo for midfielders Gorrin and Kelly.

Almost instantly, the U’s had an equaliser after Barker twisted and turned his man and delivered an exquisite cross from the left flank, which Winnall headed powerfully past Jones.

The U’s almost went ahead straight away when Sykes unleased a 30-yard effort which Jones was equal to, to claw away for a corner.

From the corner, Elliot Moore almost scrambled in to make it 2-1.

Moore did put the U’s ahead though. After some indecisive Wigan defending, the captain was on hand to poke the ball in from inside the six-yard box.