OXFORD City conceded either side of half-time as they let a lead slip to lose against Havant & Waterlooville.

Harvey Bradbury had headed the visitors, playing for the first time since their excellent FA Cup win over Northampton Town, in front in just the tenth minute.

City were be far the brighter side for much of the first half, but could not make it count.

They were pegged back just before the break when the ball fell to Sam Magri after a scramble in the box.

And Havant struck again when the lively Tommy Wright converted a cross four minutes into the second half for what proved to be the winner.

City named an unchanged side from Monday night, but they needed an excellent save from Ben Dudzinski to keep out his former side in the second minute.

Josh Ashby lost the ball deep in his own half and Wright’s shot was diverted wide by the goalkeeper’s fingertips.

The visitors went on to take a grip of the game, showing plenty of energy and purpose on the artificial surface.

They led in the tenth minute, when Aaron Drewe’s deflected cross fell for Bradbury to glance in a header past Ross Worner.

The striker had the ball in the net again five minutes later, but James Roberts had strayed offside in the build-up.

City were on top, but needed a brilliant goalline clearance from Josh Ashby to keep out Magri’s firm header from a corner.

After a scrappy spell, both sides had chances in an entertaining 15 minutes to the half.

After City failed to clear a free-kick, Wright’s drive beat Dudzinski but skimmed inches over the crossbar.

The striker quickly had another chance, darting to beat the City goalkeeper on the edge of the box. From a narrow angle it looked like his shot was going wide, but Louis Hall made sure by diverting it for a corner.

At the other end Lewis Coyle had a low shot saved by Worner, who made an even better stop to deny Zac McEachran.

The saves allowed Havant to draw level late in the half, when another ball into the box was not cleared. It eventually fell for Magri, with the centre back showing all the composure of a seasoned forward with a cool low finish.

Even so, City could have retaken the lead in stoppage time after some quick feet and through ball from McEachran.

It sent Roberts clear, but the former Oxford United striker hesitated and ended up firing tamely wide.

Having conceded just before the break, City did so again just four minutes after the restart.

Skipper Joe Oastler’s attempted clearance was blocked and Joe Iaciofano got in down the right, squaring to give Wright a simple finish.

Roberts quickly forced Worner into a save as the visitors looked for a way back into a game which opened up after the hour mark.

Havant looked the more dangerous and Moussa Diarra was left pounding the artificial turf in frustration after heading a good chance wide 19 minutes from time.

City had a claim for a penalty on Drewe turned down, but they rarely threatened an equaliser in the closing stages.

Havant & W (4-4-2): Worner, Read, Diarra, Magri, Robson, Taylor, Clifford, Gomis McLennan (Deacon HT), Iaciofano, Wright.

Unused subs: Straker, Poku, Ajakaiye, Sinclair.

Booked: Robson.

Oxford C (4-2-3-1): Dudzinski, Drewe, Fernandez, Oastler, Hall (Owusu 87), Fleet, Ashby, Roberts, Coyle (Bancroft 66), McEachran, Bradbury (Benyon 66).

Unused subs: Martinez, Gubbins.

Booked: Fleet.

Referee: Michael Ryan (Sussex).