Loan strikers Matt Green and Ashley Barnes both scored on their debuts as Oxford United won an explosive Blue Square Premier game at Aggborough on Saturday.

Both teams played the whole of the second half with ten men after having a man sent off, and throughout the game there was a lot of needle.

Harriers' leading scorer Jason Constable was the first to go, in the 32nd minute and just a minute after Green had opened the scoring for the U's.

He deliberately struck out with his elbow into the face of United's youth team player James Clarke, who was making his first-team debut at right back.

Referee Oli Langford immediately brandished the red card to 11-goal Constable, the home team's leading scorer and most dangerous player.

And at that stage, with a one-goal lead and against ten men, it looked a perfect position for the visitors in their first away match under new boss Darren Patterson.

Yet just over ten minutes later Carl Pettefer went hard into the tackle against substitute Michael McGrath, who went sprawling across the grass and Mr Langford wasted little time in pulling out his red card again.

It was hard not to feel that, just like last week, in Oxfoird United's match against Ebbsfleet, the referee was simply "evening up" because Pettefer's challenge, though fierce, didn't seem over-the-top and he even won the ball.

Green, a 20-year-old striker signed on loan from Cardiff City in the week, struck in the 31st minute and Clarke played a big part in the move.

He had the confidence to take the ball on before releasing Eddie Anaclet, his cross was flicked on by Yemi Odubade to Green and although the striker miscued his first effort, he then reacted quickly to poke the loose ball past goalkeeper Scott Bevan.

Patterson had decided on a return to 4-4-2 with the U's making sure they were a solid unit, able to combat Kidderminster's threat down the flanks.

And Green soon showed some moments of quality, a purposeful run down the right earning a promising attacking position, and then good close control on his chest and with some tidy footwork.

At the other end of the pitch, Billy Turley continued in his excellent form, looking very confident as he punched when crosses were difficult, and catching others under pressure.

Constable was a player Patterson admitted Oxford wanted to sign last season.

In the opening minutes a forceful run through central midfield from Russell Penn created half a chance for the striker, but with Anaclet desperately trying to get back and out hium under pressure, the off-balance Constable sliced wide.

Eddie Hutchinson was shown the yellow card for using an elbow as he jumped to challenge for the ball in the air with Kidderminster midfielder Gavin Hurren in the 12th minute.

Hurren was helped off with blood pouring down his head, and he went down the tunnel unable to return.

Some of the home side's players protested that Hutchinson should have been shown the red card, and from that moment on the game had an edge.

United had a let-off on 25 minutes when Justin Richards headed against the bar with Turley beaten, and the ball was hacked clear after coming back off the woodwork.

But Patto's men seldom looked troubled after that as they defended resolutely.

Green was a handful at the other end, and when he took on the home defence and was cynically brought down by Stuart Whitehead, again there was a strong argument that the Harriers captain had denied a clear goalscoiring opportunity so he too should have been sent off. But he received a yellow card instead.

Oxford had ended the first half with their ten men readjusting to a 4-3-2 formation, but for the second half that changed to 4-4-1 with Odubade on his own up front.

That soon changed, though, as Patterson replaced him with Barnes, his loan signing from Plymouth.

And in the 69th minute, Barnes showed great movement, and a great finish, with a deft header from Alex Jeannin's free-kick from the right to make it 2-0.

The free-kick followed a foul on Clarke by Andy Ferrell, which earned him a booking.

Clarke, it seems, was involved in everything.

Oxford Utd: Turley, Clarke, Quinn, Foster, Jeannin, Anaclet (Willmott 81), Hutchinson, Pettefer, Trainer, Green (Twigg 58), Odubade (Barnes 51). Subs not used: Warrell, Ledgister.

Sent off: Pettefer.

Booked: Hutchinson.

Att: 2,025