OXFORD United will be in the Emirates FA Cup fifth round draw after producing a big performance to force a replay with Newcastle United.

More than 52,000 fans packed into St James’ Park, but it was the 3,710 travelling supporters who were making all the noise at the full-time whistle.

Karl Robinson’s side needed to dig in well at times, but while Joelinton had two goals ruled out for offside, Simon Eastwood only had one save of note to make.

At the other end Marcus Browne fired straight at the goalkeeper when he had United’s big chance to win the game outright 20 minutes from time.

The visitors were not playing for a replay, substitute Nathan Holland forcing a great save in the final minute of stoppage-time, but the sides will meet again at the Kassam Stadium at the start of February.

Both managers stayed true to their pre-match statements.

While Steve Bruce named a strong line-up which included new signing Nabil Bentaleb, Robinson did not take a chance on anyone who was an injury doubt.

Instead, his two changes from the XI which drew at Gillingham a week earlier saw Elliott Moore replace John Mousinho and Browne preferred to Holland.

The visitors were big underdogs, but they forged a chance inside the opening 60 seconds.

Switching the play found Josh Ruffels in space on the left corner of Newcastle’s box and the left back’s cross/shot flashed wide just out of Jamie Mackie’s reach.

The opening exchanges were disrupted by a clash in the air between Rob Dickie and Joelinton, who both required bandages around their foreheads.

When play resumed Toon skipper Jamaal Lascelles was booked for a clumsy late challenge on Shandon Baptiste.

Newcastle saw plenty of the ball, but it took them until midway through the half to really put United under pressure.

Dickie was needed to make a last-ditch block on Joelinton’s shot, deflecting it into the side netting for a corner.

Alex Gorrin’s clearance from the set piece was charged down and when Newcastle put the ball back into the box they caused panic.

The home fans appealed for a handball when Sam Long blocked a Ciaran Clark shot, then for a trip by Ruffels on Joelinton.

The latter looked more of a problem for the U’s, but after a delay while the VAR checked the incident it was the away fans left cheering when referee Robert Jones pointed for a goal kick.

United were able to reassert themselves to quieten the home support, without threatening at the other end.

While Newcastle were the better side, Eastwood was stretched just once before the break, when the goalkeeper flung himself low to his right to turn Allan Saint-Maximin’s 20-yard shot wide.

Karl Darlow was a spectator as Long and Browne fired long-range efforts off target, but United will have nonetheless been happy to reach half-time still on level terms.

Newcastle had the ball in the net eight minutes after the restart, but the officials did not need VAR to rule out Joelinton’s effort for offside.

A minute later the rapid Saint-Maximin broke forward and fired a low shot which Eastwood blocked with his legs.

United had to weather a storm, but around the hour mark they went on to have a spell of their own.

After forcing their first corners of the game, Baptiste and Browne fired efforts just wide of Darlow’s goal, where high above the away fans roared their encouragement.

A golden chance arrived 20 minutes from time.

Gorrin worked wonders to break into space and although his pass was strong, Browne’s first touch diverted it cleverly past one defender. He had only Darlow to beat, but under pressure from Lascelles he fired straight at the goalkeeper.

Joelinton quickly had the ball in the net again, but once more the flag was up after Ruffels’s clearance was blocked into his path.

Almiron and Joelinton fired chances over as Newcastle pushed for a winner.

But the clearest chance in stoppage time fell to Holland, who cut in off the right and had a fierce left-footed shot parried by Darlow.

There was no late drama, but United had earned their chance to have another crack at the Magpies.

Newcastle Utd (3-4-1-2): Darlow, Clark, Lascelles, Schar, Yedlin, S Longstaff (Hayden 87), Bentaleb (Atsu 80), Ritchie, Almiron, Joelinton, Saint-Maximin (M Longstaff 70).

Unused subs: Elliot, Fernandez, Allan, Sorensen.

Booked: Lascelles.

Oxford Utd (4-3-3): Eastwood, Long, Dickie, Moore, Ruffels, Gorrin (Hanson 90), Sykes, Baptiste, Browne, Mackie (Holland 76), Fosu (Agyei 87).

Unused subs: Stevens, Mousinho, Kelly, Thorne.

Booked: Baptiste, Gorrin, Sykes.

Referee: Robert Jones (Cheshire).

Attendance: 52,221 (3,710 visitors).