OXFORD United showed plenty of fight to claim a point against Ipswich Town in a game which will be remembered for a suspension of play in the first half.

The contest was halted for 16 minutes by referee Tom Nield after half an hour of torrential rain left pools of standing water on the Kassam Stadium pitch.

It proved to be a good decision, as the rain relented and allowed conditions to improve.

Given the playing surface, both sides played some good football at times without finding a way through.

James Norwood had a strong penalty appeal turned down late in the 63-minute first half, while United’s best spell came immediately after half-time.

Ultimately a draw was the right result and for the U’s it was a decent response to Saturday’s defeat against Rotherham United.

The United line up showed four changes, but selections quickly became a footnote as the conditions took centre stage.

A biblical deluge arrived just minutes before kick-off and continued well into a first half which became about limiting mistakes rather than trying to play good football.

Robinson and opposite number Paul Lambert resembled sea captains on the bridge during a storm on the touchline as they tried to fathom what was going on out there.

It did not mean the clash was uneventful, with both sides looking to shoot on sight.

Marcus Browne, one of those brought into the line-up, curled a 20-yard shot just wide, while at the other end Alan Judge was the main threat.

The Irishman fizzed three shots from outside the box just wide in quick succession as United, playing into the wind, struggled to clear their lines.

While the rain was easing, it kept falling and puddles of standing water began to form.

Just before the half-hour mark a random passage of play in the centre circle convinced the referee to halt proceedings.

He consulted with both managers, who were quickly joined by the two captains in a discussion on the touchline.

The supporters wanted the game to continue, but for a while it looked like an abandonment would be called.

Instead, the officials hedged their bets and suspended the contest.

Remarkably, at that point the rain halted, allowing groundstaff to make progress. It meant that after a delay of more than a quarter of an hour, play resumed.

Ipswich looked the more threatening in the period up to half-time, with James Norwood having a strong claim for a penalty turned down. The visitors were furious, but United could argue the striker had fouled John Mousinho first.

The hosts started the second half strongly, as Tariqe Fosu rippled the side netting from 20 yards and Will Norris saved a long-range effort from Browne.

At the other end the biggest concern was a long ball which Eastwood just reached ahead of Norwood.

There were signs the heavy pitch was beginning to take its toll on the players as the game entered the closing stages.

Josh Ruffels almost cashed in when he was given space on the edge of the box, but Norris was equal to his well-struck shot 14 minutes from time.

Ipswich forced several set pieces late on, but United defended well to claim a share of the points.

Oxford Utd (4-3-3): Eastwood, Long, Dickie, Mousinho, Ruffels, Gorrin, Baptiste, Browne (Sykes 84), Holland (Brannagan 67), Taylor (Mackie 90), Fosu.

Unused subs: Stevens, Moore, Kelly, Hall.

Booked: Browne.

Ipswich Tn (3-4-1-2): Norris, Chambers, Wilson, Woolfenden, Edwards, Downes, Huws, Garbutt, Judge, Norwood (Sears 69), Keane.

Unused subs: Holy, Earl, Skuse, Nolan, Bishop, Dozzell.

Booked: Edwards.

Referee: Tom Nield (West Yorkshire).

Attendance: 8,191 (1,319 visitors).