OXFORD United boss Karl Robinson admitted he twice feared Nathan Holland’s loan move would fall through in the past ten days.

The 21-year-old has today completed a move from West Ham United until the end of the season.

United had done extensive work behind the scenes to set up the deal, which they hoped would be concluded as soon as the window opened last week.

That would have seen Holland join in time for the Emirates FA Cup tie against Hartlepool United, but the Hammers sacked Manuel Pellegrini on December 28.

It cast doubt over the move, but after taking over David Moyes agreed to the loan once he had taken a closer look at Holland – who he named on the bench against Gillingham on Sunday.

Robinson said: “It was always a worry and we were thinking ‘oh no, please don’t depart’.

“We were told it was done in relation to the old manager.

“Unfortunately it wasn’t to be, but we all worked hard and managed to get it over the line.”

He added: “As a club we have seen his last 12 games live.

“It’s one we’ve worked really hard on.

Also read: Oxford United eye fresh loan for George Thorne – if Derby County agree reduction

“I want to thank (academy staff) Paul Konchesky and Ricky Martin at West Ham.

“And (assistant manager) Alan Irvine and David Moyes for their continued support since they’ve been in the building. We’re really happy to have him.”

Holland added: “With the change of the gaffer it could have affected things, but I had a chat with him and he agreed it was a great opportunity.

“He was very impressed with the way Oxford played and we were able to get it over the line.”

After being an unused substitute at Priestfield – which means the 21-year-old is not cup-tied for the U's – Holland was kept on for Monday night’s Premier League 2 clash.

Robinson was in the stands to see his target set up one goal and score another in a 2-0 win over Manchester United.

But there was a panic late on, when Holland limped off.

The U’s boss said: “He was holding his hamstring.

“We were about to agree the papers after the game and I was thinking ‘oh please no’.”

Fortunately, it was not serious.

“It was just a bit of cramp,” Holland said.

“I hadn’t played a game for a bit because I’d been training with the first team.

“Maybe I could have carried on, but I just wanted to be safe rather than sorry.”