CAMERON Brannagan and Shandon Baptiste scored late on as Oxford United came from behind to beat Norwich City Under 21s in the Trophy.

The home side found an extra gear in the closing stages of their opening group match, having struggled to find a rhythm in front of their fourth-lowest ever crowd.

Norwich goalkeeper William Johnson was kept busy, but City’s youngsters did not look out of their depth and Shae Hutchinson put them ahead just after the hour mark.

That prompted a response from United, who discovered a level of intensity which had been lacking.

Brannagan bagged his fourth of the season with a low strike from the edge of the box, before Baptiste’s classy finish, his first at the Kassam Stadium, sealed the points.

As promised, United’s side showed wholesale changes from the weekend.

Rob Dickie and Anthony Forde were the only players to keep their shirt, as Dan Agyei made his first start up front and at the other end of the pitch Jack Stevens made only his third U’s appearance.

United had steamrollered Fulham and Tottenham’s youth sides in last season’s competition, but Norwich’s crop looked assured early on.

They enjoyed the best of the opening exchanges, as United found it difficult to make headway.

Gradually the home side asserted themselves, with Kevin Berkoe looking bright getting forward from left back.

It took them 24 minutes to threaten, when Rob Hall was given time in the box from a short corner to blast a rising shot which City goalkeeper William Johnson parried to safety.

Despite the visitors looking good between the boxes, the biggest concern for Stevens came from one of his teammates.

The goalkeeper was winded just after the half-hour mark after a collision with Sam Long, who slid in to deal with a dangerous through ball aimed at Hutchinson.

Both players got to their feet after treatment and the full back set up United’s best chance of the half, in stoppage time.

Long charged down the right and beat Rob Nizet to cut a pass back for Hall, whose goal-bound shot from ten yards was deflected over by Akin Famewo.

Baptiste saw a shot tipped wide when the resulting corner fell his way, as the home side at least finished the half on a positive note.

United’s players were sent out early for the second half and they started quickly.

Agyei’s run and low shot forced a smart save from Johnson within a minute of the restart.

The goalkeeper denied the striker again when another chance quickly fell his way, this time seeing a header from Forde’s cross tipped over.

But the young Canaries always carried a threat on the break and on 64 minutes they cut through to open the scoring.

William Hondermarck sliced open the back four with one pass and Hutchinson raced clear to calmly slot past Stevens.

Falling behind gave United a much-needed injection of urgency, helped by the introduction of Mark Sykes, Brannagan and Kyran Lofthouse – the latter for his debut.

Hall wasted a headed chance, his effort ending up heading back to where it came amid groans from the home fans.

But 13 minutes from time they were level. From an uncontested drop ball 25 yards out, Brannagan darted past one challenge and hammered a low shot which beat Johnson at his near post.

Baptiste was denied a blatant penalty, but he gave Johnson no chance with the winner five minutes from time when he picked out the top corner from 15 yards after Long’s cross was not cleared.

Oxford Utd (4-2-3-1): Stevens, Long, Dickie, Mousinho, Berkoe, Hanson, Baptiste, Hall, Fosu (Sykes 58), Forde (Brannagan 66), Agyei (Lofthouse 66).

Unused subs: Eastwood, Moore, Allardyce, Goodrham.

Booked: Dickie, Long.

Norwich C U21s (4-2-3-1): Johnson, Thomas, Famewo, Jones, Nizet, Milovanovic, McAlear (Khumbeni 90), Martin (Jackson 90), Scully, Hondermarck, Hutchinson.

Unused subs: Dronfield, Dickson-Peters, Rose.

Booked: Famewo.

Referee: Christopher Sarginson (Staffordshire).

Attendance: 1,084 (152 visitors).