FANKATY Dabo scored two late own goals as Oxford United came from 2-0 and 3-2 down to draw a thriller against Coventry City.

Karl Robinson’s side were staring at a fourth successive defeat in Sky Bet League One when Callum O’Hare put the visitors ahead in stoppage-time.

It appeared to break United’s hearts, after the home side had roared back from 2-0 down.

They had been the better side, but City showed a ruthless edge to score through Zain Westbrooke’s free-kick and Matty Godden’s header either side of half-time.

Jamie Mackie gave them hope and when Dabo turned in Chris Cadden's cross it looked like United had salvaged a point.

It turned out that’s exactly what they finished with, but only after an extraordinary stoppage-time spell which finished with Dabo again putting through his own net.

Having ruled Cameron Brannagan out with a groin strain earlier in the week, the midfielder was a surprise inclusion in the starting line-up.

James Henry and Chris Cadden were among the other players to return to the XI after the midweek cup tie with Millwall and they were involved in the game’s first clear chance.

A quick break was started by Henry and in the 12th minute the midfielder made up ground to swing in a cross which found Jamie Mackie. The veteran forward was alone ten yards out, but he got the volley all wrong as the ball looped well wide.

City had looked dangerous early on as Wesley Jobello and Jordy Hiwula hugged their respective touchlines.

But United went on to get on top, with the right flank providing most of their best moments.

Midway through the half a promising move saw Ben Woodburn’s cross met by Anthony Forde, whose header from six yards was tipped over by Marko Marosi.

The home side were playing well, but in what is becoming a familiar story for United this season, after failing to cash in on a good spell, they conceded.

Alex Gorrin fouled Liam Kelly 30 yards out and from the position dead centre Zain Westbrooke’s effort beat Simon Eastwood’s dive and snuck inside his left-hand post.

It was City’s first effort on goal, in the 35th minute.

They had a chance to double the advantage in first-half stoppage time when United went to sleep at a throw-in. It found Westbrooke in space, who moved the ball on to Jordan Shipley on the edge of the box to fire in a low shot which was straight at Eastwood.

The second goal did arrive 11 minutes after the restart, but it was a real sucker punch for the home side.

United had dominated since the break, forcing a flurry of corners.

When one was only half-cleared to Woodburn on the edge of the box the Liverpool loanee caught his left-footed volley sweetly, but it smacked against the post.

From the rebound City broke and Fankaty Dabo’s cross was nodded in by Godden.

Seconds after coming with inches of making it 1-1, United trailed 2-0.

Robinson responded with a double substitution, bringing on Tariqe Fosu and Shandon Baptiste.

Within seconds Baptiste was involved, dummying a pass from Dickie to get Mackie a shooting chance, which he exploited to curl a beauty left-footed from 20 yards past Marosi.

The home side had come from two goals down to draw level on Tuesday night and the goal renewed their belief in pulling off a repeat as their supporters turned up the volume.

United’s corner count reached double figures as City were pushed back and 11 minutes from time it looked like they would make one count.

Brannagan’s driven delivery picked out Gorrin, whose header was denied by a brilliant save from Marosi.

But the pressure was building – and forced an awful mistake from Dabo five minutes from time when he turned in Cadden’s cross for an equaliser.

The Kassam Stadium was bouncing as the U’s went in search of a winner, but they were caught wide open as Callum O’Hare had a huge chance which was superbly saved by Eastwood.

It was a warning shot United did not heed, with the same player cashing in during stoppage-time to restore City’s lead.

The hosts were down on their knees, but remarkably still had time to level when Fosu’s cross was turned in by Dabo as he was challenged by Elliott Moore.

Oxford Utd (4-2-3-1): Eastwood, Cadden, Dickie, Moore, Ruffels (Long 90), Brannagan, Gorrin, Henry, Woodburn (Fosu 64), Forde (Baptiste 64), Mackie.

Unused subs: Stevens, Mousinho, Hall, Hanson.

Booked: Dickie, Forde, Ruffels, Mackie.

Coventry C (4-3-3): Marosi, Dabo, Rose, Hyam, McCallum (Watson 89), Westbrooke, Kelly, Shipley, Jobello (McFadzean 90), Godden, Hiwula (O’Hare 75).

Unused subs: Wilson, Biamou, Bakayoko, Kastaneer.

Booked: Shipley, Westbrooke.

Referee: Graham Salisbury (Lancashire).

Attendance: 8,080 (1,810 visitors).