ALEX Gorrin scored a terrific goal on his home debut as Oxford United were edged out by Queens Park Rangers at the Kassam Stadium.

The summer signing’s delicate finish hauled the hosts back into a pre-season friendly which had threatened to get away from them.

After a low-key opening, Luke Amos was allowed two simple headers to score from close range in as many minutes.

The Sky Bet Championship side hit the woodwork either side of half-time, but United had their moments in the second half and Tony McMahon hit the crossbar with a free-kick late on.

Jamie Mackie was due to feature, but in his absence United’s lack of striking options was shown by Malachi Napa’s selection as a makeshift centre forward.

Rob Dickie headed wide from an early Cameron Brannagan corner, but otherwise the home side struggled to make headway once they crossed the halfway line.

QPR boss Mark Warburton had called for his side to show more intensity after two friendly defeats, but there was little to get excited about in the opening half-hour.

Their most threatening moments came from set pieces – an area the U’s had looked vulnerable so far in pre-season.

So there was little surprise it was the route the visitors took to open the scoring, on 31 minutes.

Ebere Eze delivered from the Rangers left and Amos got in front of his marker to head home from inside the six-yard box.

The midfielder doubled his tally from virtually the same spot less than two minutes later. This time it came from open play, Ryan Manning with the assist, but the finish was a virtual carbon copy.

United were going nowhere fast, until a moment of magic from Gorrin seven minutes before the break.

When the ball fell to the summer signing just outside the box he produced a quality finish, which curled over goalkeeper Joe Lumley and nestled into the far corner of the net.

Tariqe Fosu had been involved in the goal and his pass quickly played in Mark Sykes, but Yoann Barbet got back well to deny the one-on-one chance.

United were enjoying their best spell of the game, but could easily have gone in 3-1 down at half-time.

A ball threaded into the box picked out Josh Scowen’s run, but although his shot beat Simon Eastwood it cannoned back off the inside of the post and rebounded to safety.

They hit the woodwork again eight minutes into the second half, when Bright Osayi-Samuel smashed a shot against the crossbar with only Eastwood to beat.

That chance had come via a quick counter-attack after a corner from the home side, who had started the half strongly – Napa slicing a shot wide after good work from Fosu.

The contest was bubbling nicely at that stage, but it became disrupted by a flurry of substitutions after the hour mark.

United should have carved out a clear chance to equalise midway through the half, but after doing well to intercept 30 yards out, Brannagan’s pass for Napa was over-hit.

The hosts, who had played four more warm-up games than their visitors, finished the strongest.

McMahon rattled the crossbar with a 20-yard free-kick, but that was as close as they came to an equaliser.

United are at home again to Championship opposition on Tuesday night, against Fulham.

Oxford Utd: Eastwood, Long (McMahon 74), Dickie, Mousinho (Jones 74), Ruffels, Brannagan, Gorrin, Sykes (Hanson 60), Henry (Lofthouse 74), Fosu (Lopes 60), Napa (Berkoe 83).

Unused subs: Stevens.

QPR: Lumley, Rangel (Masterson 61), Hall (Leistner 61), Barbet (Hamalainen 61), Manning (Owens 61), Amos (Chair 61), Ball, Shodipo, Scowen, Osayi-Samuel, Eze.

Unused subs: Kelly, Oteh.

Referee: Craig Hicks (Surrey).

Attendance: 3,165 (1,088 visitors).