OXFORD United dug themselves out of a hole with a four-goal blitz to beat neighbours Oxford City at Court Place Farm.

The hosts looked on course to win the pre-season friendly when Danny Rowe’s quality finish put them 3-1 up early in the second half.

Stefan Brown and Jack Self had also netted, but United, who had got off the mark through James Henry, hit back as City tired after the hour mark.

Tariqe Fosu, Gavin Whyte, Kyran Lofthouse and Malachi Napa scored in quick succession to turn the game around for Karl Robinson’s side, who visit Thame United tonight.

The home side got off to a flier in their opening warm-up game of the summer.

Less than three minutes were on the clock when Brown stooped to head in on debut from Josh Ashby’s cross.

Also read: Oxford United poised to make sizeable bid for defender 

United went on to control much of the first half, but struggled for a cutting edge.

For all United’s pressure, it took until the 39th minute for City goalkeeper Steven Caro to be tested, when he kept out Owen James’s shot.

City responded by doubling their lead with another delivery from their right. Kyran Wiltshire provided the assist for Self to leap high and head in past Jack Stevens.

United pulled a goal back almost immediately, Henry firing in from ten yards on the stroke of half-time.

The interval brought plenty of changes for both sides, with ex-Walsall centre back Jon Guthrie appearing on trial for the visitors.

City extended their lead seven minutes into the second half. Rowe pounced on a mix-up between Josh Ruffels and Alex Gorrin, before curling a beauty into the far corner from 20 yards.

United looked in trouble, but against a tiring home side they stormed back with four goals in 15 minutes.

Fosu opened his account by netting a free-kick, while Whyte converted a penalty to equalise after Napa was brought down by Joe Oastler.

Napa was involved again for their fourth goal, with his shot blocked out for Lofthouse to score, before the winger scored himself with a powerful effort to complete the scoring.

City: Caro, Jones, Tapp, Oastler, Okito, Ashby, Fleet, Wiltshire, Self, Owusu, Brown.

Subs: Stanley, Fasanmade, Wright, Emmanuel, Newman, Collins, Strong, Harrison-Cushing, Rowe.

United: Stevens, Long, Mousinho, Jones, Berkoe, McCreadie, Brannagan, Lopes, Henry, James, Napa.

Subs: Allardyce, Dickie, Guthrie, Ruffels, Gorrin, Heap, Lofthouse, Fosu, Whyte.

Referee: Robert Massey-Ellis.

Attendance: 797.