OXFORD City were denied a shock win in the Buildbase FA Trophy when their first round tie at Maidenhead United was abandoned with 15 minutes remaining.

Persistent rain in the build-up to the game had put the fixture in doubt.

But the tie was given the go-ahead and City looked on course to beat their Vanarama National League hosts after Alfie Kilgour’s own goal in the first half.

Conditions at York Road only worsened, though, and the officials had no choice but to abandon the match on 75 minutes.

The sides will now have to meet again tomorrow night.

Vanarama National League South side City headed into the tie full of confidence after winning their last four matches.

But boss Mark Jones was forced into changes from their 3-1 victory over East Thurrock United, with Zac McEachran and Sam Nombe missing out through injury.

City had to weather early Maidenhead pressure in the opening 15 minutes, with goalkeeper Craig King beating away a deflected cross.

He was also kept on his toes by a barrage of dangerous deliveries on a cold and rainy afternoon.

But City looked dangerous when they ventured forward and there was a slice of luck about the way they took the lead on 20 minutes.

Tom Carter’s long pass found Kabongo Tshimanga and the striker showed great persistence to keep the ball in play on the byline.

With no support in the box, City’s top-scorer fired in an optimistic low effort which deflected off Kilgour at the near post and beat goalkeeper Carl Pentney before going in off the far post.

The visitors enjoyed a period of dominance after the goal, with Kyran Wiltshire firing wide, before Craig Fasanmade saw an effort blocked.

Groundstaff worked tirelessly to clear water off the pitch at the break, but the conditions continued to deteriorate.

City’s Bobson Bawling was forced off through injury following a heavy sliding challenge just before the hour mark.

And the visitors found themselves under a barrage of pressure, only to survive a game of pinball in their penalty area.

Another uncontrolled challenge, this time from City’s Joe Oastler, proved the final straw and referee Carl Brook abandoned the tie.

Oxford City: King, Jones, Carter, Wiltshire, Godwin-Malife, Oastler, Fasanmade, Fleet, Tshimanga, Otudeko, Bawling (Barrett 58).

Subs not used: O’Donoghue, Jefford, Ashby.