OXFORD United stretched their hot streak at home to five Sky Bet League One games as Blackpool were despatched in freezing conditions.

The in-form James Henry made the first goal, which appeared to be turned in by defender Ollie Turton under pressure from Marcus Browne, before doubling the lead himself before the break.

It was an excellent effort playing into freezing rain, which made conditions testing for both sides at the Kassam Stadium.

United defended well enough after the break to preserve their lead against an off-colour Tangerines side who struggled for a cutting edge.

It saw them collect three points at home for the fifth game running for the first time in the Football League since 1996.

More importantly it kept them climbing the table, up to a season-high 18th place ahead of the busy festive period.

Boss Karl Robinson named the same XI for the fifth game in a row, but was able to welcome back Tony McMahon on the bench after the defender had recovered from a cracked rib.

Freezing conditions were complicated by a strong breeze which brought with it steady rain.

Unsurprisingly it had an impact on the contest, with attractive football at a premium.

United were playing with the breeze at their backs in the first half and looked for Browne at every opportunity early on.

The on-loan West Ham winger curled one shot wide, but Blackpool carved out the first good chance midway through the half.

Their best moments before the break all came down the left flank and full back Marc Bola got in round the back to deliver a dangerous low cross. Nathan Delfouneso was lining up for an easy tap-in, but Josh Ruffels got back to superbly snuff out the danger.

As the conditions grew worse, a goalless draw looked the most likely outcome from the afternoon.

But United made the breakthrough just before the half-hour mark, thanks in part to a defensive mistake.

Bola’s clearance from a Brannagan free-kick was poor and straight to Henry. His deep cross hung up to the far post, where under pressure from Browne defender Ollie Turton headed into his own net.

Blackpool so nearly got back on level terms within four minutes.

Henry tackled Liam Feeney in the penalty area but then slipped to gift the ball back to the forward, who rattled the near post from 15 yards.

Duly reprieved, United cashed in to double the lead with the best move of the half.

It began with Jamie Hanson deep in United’s half and Cameron Brannagan moved the ball on to Gavin Whyte. The winger attacked Bola before squaring for Henry to confidently sweep into the net from 12 yards.

The cushion of a second goal was important heading into a second half where United were playing into the wind.

It meant the hosts’ priority was on keeping errors to a minimum and not overcommitting themselves going forward.

A scrappy start to the half was right up their street, therefore, as Blackpool were unable to exert a sustained spell of pressure.

The visitors made all their substitutions by the midway point of the second half, without causing goalkeeper Simon Eastwood any problems.

At the other end the U’s threatened on the break with the pace of Whyte and Browne, while Jamie Mackie’s snap-shot 20 minutes from time was well saved by Mark Howard.

Steadily they ran the clock down, although there was no gamesmanship involved in Rob Dickie going down ten minutes from time. The centre half was unable to continue and Charlie Raglan was introduced as a replacement.

Ben Heneghan should have set up a tense finish when a ling free-kick dropped to him five yards out, but the centre back headed across goal rather than on target.

United were let off the hook and went on to see out the game without much trouble.

Oxford Utd (4-3-3): Eastwood, Hanson, Nelson, Dickie (Raglan 80), Ruffels, Mousinho, Henry, Brannagan, Whyte (Holmes 85), Mackie, Browne.

Unused subs: Mitchell, McMahon, Garbutt, Long, Smith.

Booked: Henry.

Blackpool (4-2-3-1): Howard, Turton (Gnanduillet HT), Daniels, Heneghan, Bola, Spearing, Guy (Pritchard 66), Delfouneso, Thompson, Feeney, Dodoo (O’Sullivan 60).

Unused subs: Boney, O’Connor, O’Sullivan, Taylor, Bunney.

Booked: Heneghan, Feeney, Thompson.

Referee: Matthew Donohue (Manchester).

Attendance: 6,003 (294 visitors)