OXFORD United’s quality came to the fore as they eased past Forest Green Rovers to reach the second round of the Emirates FA Cup.

James Henry, Jamie Mackie and Marcus Browne scored in a scrappy first round replay at the New Lawn, helping the U’s extend their unbeaten run to nine games in all competitions.

United showed a promising cutting edge in front of goal to eventually ease home on a chilly evening, with a tie at Sky Bet League One counterparts Plymouth Argyle the reward.

Karl Robinson made four changes from the side which beat Gillingham on Saturday.

Jamie Hanson and Luke Garbutt started in the full back positions, with Gavin Whyte and Mackie returning upfront.

Josh Ruffels moved into midfield as Browne, Sam Long and Sam Smith dropped to the bench.

There was no place in the side for Ricky Holmes, who was rested after playing on Saturday despite still suffering with a back injury.

United could have made a dream start to the tie as John Mousinho’s crunching tackle dispossessed Lloyd James and Whyte drove in a dangerous cross.

But an unmarked Henry got his feet in a mess and he missed the ball altogether.

That attack kicked the hosts into life and they had a chance of their own on 14 minutes, Tahvon Campbell flicking Joseph Mills’ free-kick just wide.

United registered their first shot on target moments later, when Henry collected a Luke Garbutt throw and swivelled to shoot straight at goalkeeper James Montgomery.

It was a physical contest on a cold Gloucestershire night, with League Two side Forest Green looking dangerous from set pieces and successive corners nearly led to a goal on 25 minutes.

Campbell’s header looked destined for the corner, but hit a United player, before an almighty scramble ensued at the next, ending with Mousinho hacking clear.

United were fortunate to have not conceded, but they took the lead on 35 minutes.

Cameron Brannagan was afforded too much space and he curled an effort towards the bottom corner which was well saved by Montgomery, but Henry quickly pounced on the loose ball to slot home.

The midfielder’s sixth goal of the season had lifted United’s confidence, but it was an evening for a professional display.

And they doubled their lead with a fine goal just two minutes into the second half through Mackie.

The striker dispossessed Farrend Rawson on the edge of the box, before Whyte fed Ruffels who brilliantly turned in the area and crossed for Mackie to flick home across Montgomery at the near post.

United were in control and opened up the home side’s defence again, this time Mackie fed Whyte, whose shot was saved by Montgomery’s outstretched foot.

The visitors still had to be on their guard and Reuben Reid headed Mills’ dangerous cross over from close range, before Rob Dickie crucially deflected George Williams’ goalbound effort wide.

But United had the quality to kill the game off for good with 12 minutes to go.

Substitute Browne led a counter from halfway and he went all the way on his own, sweetly striking a left-footed shot into the bottom corner to cap a good evening for the U’s.

Forest Green Rovers (4-2-3-1): Montgomery, Winchester, McGinley, Rawson, Mills, Digby, James, Reid (Morris 71), Brown (Worthington 79), Archibald (Williams 62), Campbell.

Unused subs: Sanchez, Gunning, Pearce.

Booked: McGinley.

Oxford Utd (4-3-3): Eastwood, Hanson, Nelson, Dickie, Garbutt, Mousinho, Ruffels, Brannagan, Whyte (Long 72), Henry (Browne 67), Mackie (Smith 67).

Unused subs: Stevens, James, Raglan, Norman.

Booked: Brannagan.

Referee: Trevor Kettle (Rutland).

Attendance: 1,614 (509 U’s fans).