OXFORD City Stars head coach Kenny Redmond hailed his side after seeing them end Chelmsford Chieftains’ 100 per cent record.

Stars hit back from a goal behind to triumph 3-1 at a packed Oxpens and close the gap on the English National League South Division 2 leaders.

Goals from Josh Oliver (2) and Joe Edwards sealed a tense victory which saw them close to four points of the table-toppers, but with two games in hand.

After suffering a shock defeat at home to Guildford in their previous match, Redmond was ecstatic to see his side regain the winning habit.

“We’re delighted to bounce straight back to winning ways,” he said.

“It was a highly-competitive game and we played well for the whole 60 minutes.

“The game was end to end throughout and the team demonstrated great character to earn the win.

“The boys were focused and disciplined and played some great hockey.

“Key for us now is keeping focused and building another run of results.”

The Stars played in front of their biggest crowd of the season.

And owner Scott Gough believes the huge attendance made a difference to the side.

“A big thank-you goes to the fans for getting behind us so brilliantly,” he said.

“There was a great atmosphere and it really spurred everyone on.”

Things started badly for Stars, the visitors going ahead in the seventh minute when Ross Brears scored for Chelmsford after good work from Grant Bartlett and James Ayling.

Neither side was able to find another breakthrough, with a host of penalties for both teams stopping any flow to the game.

Cheiftains thought they had doubled their lead early in the second period, only for the officials to rule out the goal.

Stars took full advantage.

On a powerplay, Oliver fired home with help from Dom Hopkins and Edwards.

Edwards then put the hosts in front, rifling a shot into the roof of the net from an almost impossible angle.

More penalties followed in the final period as tempers boiled over.

Oliver took advantage of a powerplay to make it 3-1, assisted by Michal Oravec and Dom Hopkins.

Stars maintained their lead, thanks to a number of fine saves from debutant netminder John Dibble.

Redmond’s side next travel to Swindon Wildcats 2nd on Saturday night.