WITNEY’S winless start continued in a 45-24 loss at home to Chippenham.

The west Oxfordshire side collected a four-try bonus point, but suffered a fifth defeat in South West 1 East.

Al MacKenzie, who kicked five conversions, and Ben Hathaway crossed as Chippenham led 14-0 after 24 minutes.

Oxford Mail:

  • Scott Mortimer attempts to go forward for Witney Picture: Ric Mellis

Witney lost forwards Jamie Burke and Adam Copperwheat, the latter having to be stretchered off, to injury in a torrid start.

Captain Matt Clarke’s try got the hosts on the scoreboard, but they fell 33-5 behind after MacKenzie, Charlie Palmer and Oli Alcorn crossed.

Rhys Morgan’s try, converted by Luke Manning, gave Witney hope after the break, but David Lewis went over to make it 38-12 to the visitors.

Morgan and Ed Clothier touched down for the hosts, Manning converting the latter.

But Chippenham’s Jacob Unwin crossed to put the result beyond doubt.

Banbury lost 40-17 at home to Newbury Blues.

But the match was overshadowed by a serious wrist injury to Bulls’s Dan Kirwin, which stopped the game with ten minutes to go to allow an ambulance on to the pitch.

Banbury raced into a 10-0 lead, thanks to Jacob Mills’ try, converted by Ed Phillips, who had also kicked a penalty.

Oxford Mail:

  • Jacob Mills goes over for Banbury during their home defeat to Newbury Blues Picture: Simon Grieve

But Newbury went 21-10 up at half time, after scores from Kris Ford and Josh Windfield sandwiched a penalty try.

Chris Phillips crossed, Ed Phillips converting, to put Bulls to within four points.

But tries from Josh Windfield, Harvey North and Rory Jones, who kicked four conversions, saw Blues race away.

The game ended early when Kirwin suffered a broken and dislocated wrist.

Oxford Harlequins were beaten 23-13 at Trowbridge.

Tom Weaver’s penalty was cancelled out by James Stacey for the visitors.

But Karl Parry’s try, converted by Weaver, put Trowbridge 10-3 in front.

Zak Harvey’s score and a Weaver penalty made it 18-3, before Max Valevou dived over for Quins.

Matt Williams’ try put the hosts further in front, only for Johnnie Henderson’s score to give the visitors hope but they could not earn a bonus point.