Former Oxford trainer Tony Meek is gaining support to take over as chairman of the Greyhound Trainers Association after a vote of no confidence in the current incumbent Jim Reynolds.

Reynolds, who is a trainer at Romford, got the thumbs down from the committee.

Now the committee, of which Oxford's Terry Atkins is a member, have put forward Meek as the next chairman.

Meek, widely respected in the sport, is the only Oxford handler to win the Derby with Ringa Hustle in 1993, and he repeated the dose with Moral Standards the following year, just after moving to Hall Green.

THE Bookmakers' Afternoon Greyhound Service (BAGS), first launched in 1967 with Oxford playing a leading part, celebrated its 40th anniversary this month.

Oxford is considered one of the three leading BAGS tracks in the country.

OXFORD United already have one trophy in the cabinet this season after their ladies team came out on top in the latest of the Sporting League-fund raising events at the Stadium on Tuesday.

Allocated trap five, they came out on top with 25 points, just two ahead of AFC Oxford, with Letcombe FC and Northway Boys and Girls on 19.

FORMER champion trainer Angie Kibble and Ron BIcknell topped the winners league for last month with 29 winners apiece.

Favourite to take the title this year is Ian Wills, who had 25 winners followed by Terry Kibble (23), Michael Peterson (21), Maurice Massey (20), Johnny Mayo (19), Gilly Hepden (18), Tony Magnasco (18), Paddy Curtin (17), Paul Clarke (13), Gloria Stringer (12), Robert Hannan (11) and Terry Atkins (10).

THERE'S a hive of activity in the Bicknell kennels.

Five puppies from the Iverprivilege-Crash litter are going great guns at five months old.

Now two of Bicknell's other bitches - Peace Emblem and Farloe Milly - are being mated to Razzle Dazzle Billy and Droopys Maiden respectively.

OXFORD'S golf team, captained by Atkins, finished third out of the 26 taking part in a charity day in aid of the Retired Greyhound Trust. The event raised £3,000.

GILLY Hepden's top racer Gotabetem will be off for two months after bruising a muscle.