A HAPPY Oxford City Stars’ head coach Kenny Redmond said his team would welcome their three-week break after two contrasting victories over the weekend.

Their comfortable 6-0 success at Invicta Mustangs on Saturday, was marred by Jason Ikin suffering a multiple fracture to his wrist, which was due to be operated on this week.

The following day, Stars were given a fright by Swindon Wildcats 2nd before winning 8-6 at Oxpens.

The double victory was enough to keep them on top of English National League South Division 2.

But they could well be overtaken by Bracknell before their next game away to Cardiff Fire on March 17.

Redmond said: “We now have a break, which hopefully will give some of our injured players time to recover. We wish Jason a speedy recovery.

“The boys put in a big performance on Sunday and showed a lot of character to come from behind and beat a very competitive Swindon side.

“It was an intense game and with our injuries, the team had to dig deep to win.”

The last time Swindon 2nd played the Stars they lost 9-2, but they put up a much better show this time.

In fact, a big shock was on the cards after 25 minutes as the hosts, with stand-in minder Jamie Thompson deputising in goal for the injured Milan Ronai and Mark Duffy, trailed 4-2 to goals from Adrian Dusznik, Harvey Robson, Adam Coakley and Chris Leykam.

Stewart Tait and Josh Oliver had netted for Stars, who then struck three times in seven minutes through Dom Hopkins, Kamil Kinkor and Oliver.

With Loris Taylor finding the net for Swindon, the teams were level at 5-5 going into the final period.

Kinkor’s second put Stars ahead, but the visitors levelled through Dan Sullivan 41 seconds later.

Oliver completed his-hat-trick, but it was only when Dax Hedges scored their eighth goal in the last minute, that Stars could finally celebrate.

Among the capacity crowd witnessing the game was Oxford United goalscoring legend James Constable, who tweeted: “What a win for the @OxfordCityStars, a fantastic game of hockey! Felt very privileged to be there to see it and celebrate with the fans and team! Can’t wait to come back and see another match, the run continues!”

The previous day, Stars’ win against Invicta at Gillingham was tempered by the injury to Ikin, who had to leave the ice two minutes into the second half with the injury – the result of a check from a Mustangs player.

The visitors were already 3-0 ahead thanks to goals from Kinkor, Darren Elliott and Theo Bundock.

They doubled the score through Mike Whillock (2) and Joe Edwards, while Thompson kept a clean sheet.