OXFORD City breezed past Vanarama National League title challengers Cheltenham Town 3-0 away from home to secure their place in the third round of the FA Trophy.

With the hosts fielding a youthful side, City took a one-goal lead into the break thanks to a glorious strike from Marlon Jackson, who had spent a brief period on loan at Cheltenham in 2011.

And they seized firm control in the second half, with Bradley Bubb extending the advantage before captain Darren Pond sealed it with 13 minutes to play.

Former City loanee Omari Sterling-James spurned two golden chances to put the hosts in front in the early stages.

With just two minutes played he was allowed a free header right in front of goal, but was denied by a superb reflex save from goalkeeper Laurie Walker.

Shortly after, Sterling-James found himself clear on goal again when Lewis Thompson laid the ball into his path, but saw his effort sail harmlessly over after trying to chip a stranded Walker.

City capitalised on the home side's profligacy in the 30th minute when Jackson was given acres of space in the centre of the park to unleash a ferocious effort from 25 yards, which crept into the bottom corner.

Bobbie Dale could have equalised spectacularly in the early moments of the second half, but his acrobatic overhead kick struck the bar.

Instead it was City who struck next, extending their lead when Luke Coulson beat his man on the right-hand side and crossed for Bubb to slide in the second at the near post.

And they sealed victory in style 13 minutes from time when Pond unleashed a powerful low drive from just outside the area, which beat the keeper at the near post.

That turned out to be Pond's final serious contribution to the game as he was forced off soon after through injury, meaning that City had to finish the game with ten men after already making all three substitutions.

But the hosts were unable to take advantage, with Alex Dinsmore going closest after arriving late at the back post to tip on Josh Thomas's cross only for Walker to excellently push his effort around the post.

City will now travel to another National League side, Woking, in the third round on Saturday, February 6.

City: Walker, Coulson, Lapoujade, Fleet, Arzamendi, Santiago (Henderson 62),Jackson, Pond, Bubb (Lafuente 67), McDonagh, Isaac (Benjamin 70). Sub not used: Pifarré.

Attendance: 776.