Oxford United added to their points tally with a goalless draw at AFC Wimbledon today.

In a scrappy game, Michael Appleton's side will be the happier with the result, after the hosts created the best openings.

Former U's winger Sean Rigg went the closest for Wimbledon, having one goal disallowed for offside and twice bringing fine saves from goalkeeper Jamie Ashdown, who was handed a first Oxford start.

Rigg fired in a vicious volley in the first half which Ashdown got down well to keep out.

And then two minutes from the end of normal time, Ashdown showed smart reactions to keep out the winger's close-range header.

Appleton made four changes to the side that started the 0-0 draw with York City on Monday.

Ashdown started in goal, while Andy Whing came into midfield with Danny Hylton and Patrick Hoban recalled to lead the attack.

Danny Rose moved into a central role, with Michael Collins, Josh Ruffels, Kyle Vassell and Ryan Clarke all dropping to the bench.

For the hosts, Alfie Potter was named as a substitute, with other ex-United men Rigg and Dannie Bulman starting.

Both teams began slowly, the first sight of goal coming when Hylton found some room 20 yards out but shot over.

At the other end, Adebayo Akinfenwa headed over from a George Frampton free-kick as the match started to open up.

However, it was Oxford who came oh so close to going ahead through a Rose free-kick.

Some 30 yards out, wide on United's right, his curled effort seemed to catch the wind and was heading for the top corner.

Wimbledon keeper James Shea collected, but then collided with the post and dropped the ball, but no U's player was on hand to tap in and the hosts hacked it clear.

Both sides struggled to get any fluency to their play, a hard pitch causing the ball to bounce high.

Akinfenwa headed another chance over, before he helped create an opening for Rigg, whose superb first-time volley forced Ashdown into a fine save to his right.

The big striker was handed another opportunity when Rigg returned the favour, but Akinfenwa nodded over when he should have done better.

United, who lost Patrick Hoban to injury midway through the half, saw their best effort come through a fine Kemar Roofe shot, which almost shaved a post as it curled wide.

The winger cut inside on the edge of the box, and bent a left-foot effort narrowly wide with Shea motionless.

The second half was only minutes old when Wimbledon defender Adedeji Oshilaja landed badly when going for a high ball.

The centre back came down on his neck and it was almost seven minutes before he was stretchered off.

It looked a very bad one and meant there were 11 minutes of added time.

United really struggled to get any rhythm to their place, and it was the hosts who looked the likeliest to score.

Rigg was a constant threat, and in Akinfenwa, Wimbledon always had an outlet in attack.

The same could not have been said for United, who struggled to hold the ball, meaning their defence were always under pressure.

And although they battled bravely, it was their debutant goalkeeper that came to their rescue.

Rigg had beaten Ashdown when he turned in a free-kick from the right, only to be denied by the linesman's flag with three minutes of normal time to go.

And less then 60 seconds later, the keeper had to be alert when Rigg's header was destined for the net, only for a big right glove to deflect the ball over.

In the additional time United had a couple of half-chances, but Roofe curled one shot over and Kyle Vassell could not get his shot away.

And Wimbledon almost won it in the tenth minute of added time, Ashdown again in the right place to deny Adebayo Azeez with another fine stop.

Oxford Utd: Ashdown, Baldock, Mullins, Wright, Skarz, Roofe, Whing (Ruffels 90+2), Rose, MacDonald (O'Dowda 80), Hylton, Hoban (Vassell 32).

Subs: Clarke, Long, Dunkley, Ruffels, Collins.

AFC Wimbledon (4-3-3): Shea, Fuller, Sweeney, Oshilaja (Goodman 59), Smith, Francomb (Beere 90+2), Bulman, Reeves, Tanner (Azeez 84), Akinfenwa, Rigg.

Subs: Worner, Beere, Harrison, Potter, Gallagher.

Booked: Goodman, Fuller.

Attendance: 4,234 (780 from Oxford).