Relegation seemed only a formality for London Welsh and it turned out to be the case as Bath came away from Oxford’s Kassam Stadium with a 29-14 victory yesterday, writes JACK JOHNSON.

After Newcastle Falcons earned a bonus point at London Irish on Saturday, the Exiles needed to score four tries and win to avoid dropping out of the top tier of English rugby.

However, the Exiles were no match for a powerful Bath side, who scored three tries after the break to storm to victory and condemn Welsh to the drop.

Rowland Phillips’ side now have four games to restore some pride and avoid becoming, statistically, the worst side in Premiership history.

  •  Latest Sport news

The visitors started strongly and went into a 10-0 lead, with tries from Rob Webber and Leroy Houston.

Nic Reynolds replied, Tristan Roberts adding the extras, to reduce the deficit to three points at half-time.

However, Bath dominated after the break and secured the bonus point, with Sam Burgess, Houston and Alafoti Faosiliva going over.

Welsh survived phase after phase of early pressure, before the visitors made their territorial advantage count on 15 minutes. A catch and drive on five metres saw hooker Webber go over.

The Exiles pushed Bath back immediately from the kick-off and after stealing a line-out on the visitors’ five-metre line, looked to respond.

However, as Fonua looked certain to dive over the whitewash, Bath stole possession and cleared their lines.

Welsh were punished as Bath drove forward and from a line-out, Houston escaped to touch down.

The blustery conditions saw Homer’s attempted conversion held up and it sailed wide.

Despite trailing 10-0 after 23 minutes, the Exiles pushed forward, looking as if they had a point to prove.

After forcing Bath back to their fivemetre line, Opeti Fonua was foiled twice, before Reynolds went over.

Tristan Roberts converted.

Bath came back at Welsh, who had Nathan Trevett sent to the sin-bin for collapsing a maul on 34 minutes.

The visitors looked to take immediate advantage when Olly Woodburn broke through a couple of tackles, but the Exiles escaped with Seb Jewell clearing.

Bath began the second half sluggishly, but Olly Devoto’s kick found touch.

Burgess dived over on 48 minutes after Bath stole the line-out, Homer converting.

Bath got their bonus point with two tries in successive minutes as Houston grabbed his second and Faosiliva ghosted through. Homer converted one of the scores.

However, Welsh did not give up and, with five minutes left, Fonua picked up to dive over.

Replacement fly half Will Robinson added the extras.

Dean Schofield was yellow carded before the final whistle sealed Exiles’ relegation fro