OXFORD United suffered a bodyblow in stoppage time as Accrington Stanley ended their losing streak.

The home side had lost their previous five games, but Terry Gornell turned in from close range to snatch all three points.

It sealed a bad night for United, who were a long way below their best.

James Roberts had their best chance shortly after coming on, but Accrington had their moments and both Adam Buxton and Gerardo Bruna hit the woodwork.

U's boss Michael Appleton named the same XI which started Saturday's 1-1 draw with Luton Town.

They were excellent at the weekend and started in a similar fashion here.

Just three minutes were on the clock when Josh Ruffels had a shot blocked on the line from a Callum O'Dowda corner.

It was part of a promising opening quarter of an hour, as a nervous Stanley struggled to get out of their half.

The hosts' back four had to defend well to stay on level terms, making brave blocks to deny O'Dowda and Alex MacDonald in quick succession from Joe Skarz's centre.

But after weathering an early storm, struggling Accrington came back into the game.

Midway through the half they twice came close to opening the scoring in a matter of seconds.

Andrew Procter could only glance a header when a firm connection would have beaten Ryan Clarke. United scrambled a clearance only to Buxton, whose rasping drive hit the top of the crossbar.

Accrington went on to shade the rest of a scrappy half, where United only threatened fleetingly.

The majority of their sights of goal fell to MacDonald.

Unfortunately the new signing did not have his shooting boots on, in particular with one free-kick from just outside the penalty area which disappeared into the Lancashire gloom.

At the other end, Accrington were similarly wayward, with all ten of their efforts before the break off target, although Clarke was forced to tip Mingoia's rising shot over late in the half.

Stanley hit the woodwork again three minutes into the second half, when former Real Madrid youth team player Bruna blasted a shot which rattled Clarke's right-hand post.

The midfielder, making his debut, turned provider on the hour with a wicked corner which somehow flashed across goal without anyone getting a touch.

United were under pressure and in the wars. Johnny Mullins and Richard Brindley received treatment for head injuries, with the latter being forced off.

The visitors really struggled to carry a goalscoring threat and as the game entered the final 20 minutes Roberts replaced Danny Hylton.

Almost immediately the teenager had a glorious chance, but could only blaze over from six yards after Hoban squared.

It looked a bad miss at the time - a feeling which only increased as Stanley pushed forward late on for Gornell to claim a late winner.

United complained about a foul on Clarke, but the referee waved away the protests and there was little time to make amends.

Accrington (4-2-3-1): Davies, Hunt, Atkinson, Winnard, Buxton (Liddle 69), Procter, Joyce, Bruna (Naismith 73), Mingoia, Windass (McCartan 90), Gornell.

Unused subs: Maguire, Barry, Dawber, Conneely.

Booked: Joyce, Winnard.

Oxford (4-4-2): Clarke, Brindley, Mullins, Wright, Skarz, MacDonald, Collins, Ruffels, O'Dowda, Hylton, Hoban.

Subs used: Long (Brindley 59), Roberts (Hylton 73).

Unused subs: Crocombe, Dunkley, Whing, Rose, Ashby.

Booked: Hoban.

Referee: Mark Haywood (West Yorkshire).

Attendance: 1,065 (176 visitors).