OXFORD United ground out a point in a goalless draw at Dagenham & Redbridge which will not live long in the memory.

Danny Hylton had a great chance to win a game of precious few chances late on, but headed over.

United welcomed back Will Hoskins for the final 16 minutes, but any joy from his return was tempered by the loss of James Roberts to injury before the break.

The result extended their unbeaten away run in the league to five games, rising to 15th place - the highest of the season - but it still felt like a missed opportunity against a side struggling near the bottom.

Both sides named unchanged starting line-ups, but United were able to name Hoskins on the bench after four months out injured.

Blustery conditions made life difficult for the players, which no doubt contributed to a scrappy game.

Dagenham did have the ball in the net after eight minutes, when Rhys Murphy tapped in after Ryan Clarke parried a shot from Jamie Cureton.

United's defenders were able to breathe a sigh of relief, though, when the offside flag was raised against Cureton.

While goalmouth action was at a premium, both sides had good chances to score within 60 seconds midway through the half.

The common denominator was Chey Dunkley.

First, the centre back gave away the ball cheaply, allowing Ashley Hemmings to get forward and whip in an inviting cross which Ashley Chambers somehow diverted wide from six yards.

It was a let-off, but the hosts were quickly relieved at the other end as Dunkley headed a whisker wide after a free-kick was flicked on.

The chance appeared to spark United into life and Wes Burns promptly worried a back-pedalling Daggers defence with a bright run which ended with a shot saved by Mark Cousins.

It was a flurry of excitement out of keeping with much of the remainder of play before the break.

United were not helped by an enforced change after James Roberts was forced off with an injury just after the half hour mark.

Callum O'Dowda came on and six minutes before the break saw a shot hit a defender after Danny Hylton capitalised on some dithering defending.

At the other end, the evergreen Cureton headed wide from a corner when he might have expected to do better.

The game remained untidy after the break.

Aside from a sharp turn and shot from O'Dowda, saved by Cousins, there was little to concern the two goalkeepers.

Despite the lack of action, United's supporters roared anything which came their way.

Josh Ruffels delivered a couple of threatening corners, the second of which on the hour mark was nodded on to the roof of the net by Dunkley.

Frustratingly for all those at Victoria Road, neither side was able to build sustained pressure.

United looked more threatening when they got the ball forward quickly.

They almost unlocked the Daggers defence when Clarke kicked forward to Hylton, who laid off for Burns, but the forward's pass was over-hit for a charging O'Dowda.

Hoskins was introduced with 16 minutes remaining in a bid to inject some quality.

He was quickly involved in a shoving match with Joss Labadie which saw both players yellow-carded.

Within seconds the striker might have received another booking when he pulled Alex Jakubiak's shirt, but he got away with it.

United craved a clear chance, and it arrived five minutes from time.

O'Dowda, as bright as anyone in a yellow shirt, spun away from his marker and darted down the right.

He crossed for Hylton, but United's top scorer headed over.

It was their final sight of goal and sealed a goalless draw, which on balance was a fair result.

Dagenham: Cousins, Partridge (Batt 70), Doe, Obileye, Connors, Chambers (Jakubiak 76), Labadie, Bingham (Boucaud ht), Hemmings, Cureton, Murphy.

Unused subs: O'Brien, Saah, Howell, Yusuff.

Oxford Utd: Clarke, Mullins, Dunkley, Wright, Meades, Whing, Ruffels, Holmes-Dennis, Burns (Hoskins 74), Roberts (O'Dowda 34), Hylton.

Unused subs: Crocombe, Rose, Collins, Long, Campbell.

Referee: Darren Drysdale (Lincolnshire).

Attendance: 1,892 (551 visitors).