TYRONE Barnett headed a dramatic late goal with virtually the final touch of his loan spell to give Oxford United victory against Bury.

It provided a thrilling finish to a game in which the home side were trailing to Danny Mayor's strike midway through the second half.

But United quickly levelled when Craig Jones turned in Danny Hylton's cross for an own goal.

Michael Appleton's side appeared to be heading for a fourth straight draw, but conjured a winner on the break in the 90th minute, when Barnett, whose three-month loan from Peterborough United has now ended, stooped to head in a cross from Wes Burns.

It capped off a decent debut from Burns, who was finally able to play a fortnight after joining on loan from Bristol City.

The forward came straight into the starting line-up, replacing Callum O'Dowda in the one change from last week's 2-2 draw with Tranmere Rovers.

Burns wasted no time in getting into the action on the right flank, winning an early corner.

Danny Rose's delivery picked out Michael Collins, whose header was cleared off the line.

It was the only notable moment of the opening quarter of an hour, but United gradually began to get some joy up front as the half went on.

Hylton had a shot blocked to Burns, who cut inside on to his left foot and had a low shot well saved by Shwan Jalal.

On 18 minutes Hylton's deceptive turn of pace saw him brought down by Tom Soares on the edge of the penalty area.

The midfielder was booked, but Rose could not punish them further as his free-kick whizzed over the crossbar.

Bury's back four had plenty to deal with, but they defended well, particularly in the air.

They were really opened up just once in the first half, on 32 minutes.

Hylton tackled Craig Jones near the halfway line and swapped passes with Collins.

The burst took him into the box and through on goal, but Jalal, who spent time on loan at United last season, stood up well to block.

Bury arrived on the back of a five-game winless run and did not look like a side who were among many people's promotion favourites at the start of the season.

They did not seriously threaten Ryan Clarke's goal until stoppage time.

A swift counter-attack ended with Johnny Mullins penalised for a handball just outside the penalty area.

Andrew Tutte struck it well, but the ball rattled the top of the crossbar and bounced behind to relief all round.

Bury had the opening chance of the second half, as substitute Ryan Lowe side-footed wide from 15 yards.

It was the cue for the game to open up significantly in the second half.

Andy Whing came close to a stunning goal at the other end, curling a fraction wide from 30 yards.

Barnett and Burns also had efforts deflected wide as United began to build up a head of steam again.

But instead the opening goal came at the other end, on 63 minutes.

A ball forward caught out the United back four and allowed Lowe to square for Hallam Hope. The striker's shot was parried by Clarke to Mayor, who was allowed what felt like several seconds to steady himself before blasting into the net.

Bury could have made the game safe in the following few minutes, as Lowe headed a good chance wide and Tutte again hit the top of the crossbar, this time from long range.

It looked like it would only be a matter of time before Bury scored again and so it proved - but at the other end.

Hylton did superbly in the right channel to work his way into the box and sent in a low cross which was inadvertently turned into the net by Jones.

That gave 20 minutes for United to look for a winner.

The home side probed without a great deal of success, as Bury continued to defend well.

As the game ticked into the final minute of the 90 it was United on the back foot as they conceded a corner.

But when it was cleared the hosts were able to launch a counter-attack.

Burns, who had looked to be tiring as the game went on, mustered one final busiest of speed to get on to a through ball and cross for an unmarked Barnett to head home.

Oxford Utd: Clarke, Riley, Mullins, Wright, Holmes-Dennis, Whing, Rose, Burns, Collins, Hylton, Barnett.

Unused subs: Crocombe, Dunkley, Meades, Potter, O'Dowda, Howard, Campbell.

Bury: Jalal, Jones, El-Abd, Cameron, McNulty, Mayor, Tutte, Soares, Milsom (Hussey 75), Hope (Adams 71), Rose (Lowe ht).

Unused subs: Lainton, Etuhu, Nardiello, Mills.

Attendance: 6,912 (215 visitors).

Referee: Stephen Martin (Staffordshire).