Danny Hylton blasted an injury-time penalty over the bar as Oxford United lost for the first time at home since August as Wycombe Wanderers came from behind to win 2-1 at the Kassam Stadium today.

Hylton's 37th-minute penalty had put Michael Appleton's ahead at the interval.

But Wycombe stormed back after the break and strikes from Paul Hayes on 53 minutes and Peter Murphy on 62 put them ahead.

With United struggling to create any chances, it looked certain the visitors would leave with three points.

But when substitute Callum O'Dowda was pushed in the box by Sam Wood in the 91st-minute, the U's were handed a glorious opportunity to snatch a point.

However, United's leading scorer opted for power, and smashed his spot-kick over the bar.

The defeat leaves United in trouble at the wrong end of the Sky Bet League Two table, and Wycombe riding high at the other.

Appleton named the same starting line-up for the third successive game, the only change from last week's defeat at Carlisle coming on the bench where Brian Howard replaced Josh Ruffels.

The U's started kicking towards the Oxford Mail stand, but it was the visitors who started the better.

Their first attempt on goal came in the third minute, but Oxford keeper Ryan Clarke saved easily from a Murphy header.

Tareiq Holmes-Dennis threw himself in front of a Matt Bloomfield shot, before the game really came to life in the ninth minute when Wycombe's Alfie Mawson went in hard and late on Andy Whing.

There were a few afters from the visiting man too, so he was probably relieved when referee Tim Robinson only brandished a yellow card.

United's first real chance came when Hylton beat the offside trap wide of the right.

The U's leading scorer cut inside, but his shot was saved low to his right by Ingram, formerly on loan to Oxford City.

Wycombe were attacking with purpose, and Steven Craig found himself in space on the edge of the box on 19 minutes, but shot over.

The visitors looked lively and went close when Josh Scowen's effort went just wide.

United struggled to get any fluency to their play, and it was 26 minutes until their first flowing move of the game.

It started when Clarke, Jake Wright and Holmes-Dennis looked like they had played themselves into trouble inside the United box.

But some nifty footwork saw the ball get up to halfway and ended with Danny Rose seeing a shot blocked.

It got the home fans off their seats, and there were signs they were starting to finally get going.

A great move involving Tyrone Barnett, Rose and Joe Riley earned United's first corner, and the hosts stayed on the front foot - soon to go ahead.

Hylton got in front of Jacobson as he ran towards goal, and the Wycombe man foolishly tried to challenge from behind.

Referee Robinson was slow to blow his whistle, and it was unclear at first if he had awarded a penalty, but when he showed Jacobson the yellow card, the United supporters cheered.

And the noise was soon trebled in volume when Hylton confidently sent Ingram the wrong way from the spot for his 12th goal of the season.

Despite having Collins booked for a foul, United saw out the remainder of the opening period and would happily have taken a 1-0 interval lead.

The visitors were quickly out the blocks in the second half, winning three successive corners.

From the next attack Whing threw himself in front of two goalbound shots, but the ball came back in and found its way to Hayes, who made no mistake from 12 yards.

With the visiting fans in full voice, Wycombe pressed on, with United forced to defend in numbers.

Hylton was booked for a late foul which rules him out of next week's FA Cup tie at Grimsby, but it was still the visitors who were on the front foot.

And less than a minute later, Wycombe went ahead when a cross from the left by Sam Wood was headed home by Murphy.

The visitors were full of confidence and the home fans started to get restless as their side struggled to keep the ball.

James Roberts and O'Dowda came on as United tried to find an equaliser and both made an impact.

Roberts beat the offside trap but saw a shot saved, with O'Dowda winning two free-kicks on the edge of the Wycombe box, but neither came to anything.

O'Dowda looked especially lively, and through his attempt to meet a Holmes-Dennis cross, United were handed their chance of salvation.

But Hylton blasted over.

Oxford Utd: Clarke, Riley, Mullins, Wright, Holmes-Dennis, Collins (O'Dowda 77), Whing, Potter (Roberts 68), Hylton, Rose, Barnett. Subs not used: G Long, Meades, Raynes, Jakubiak, Howard.

Booked: Collins, Hylton.

Wycombe: Ingram, Jombati, Pierre, Mawson, Jacobson, Bloomfield (Kretzschmar 86), Murphy, Scowen, Wood, Craig (Ephraim 52), Hayes (Rowe 90+3). Subs not used: Richardson, Rowe, Lewis, Walker, McClure.

Booked: Mawson, Jacobson, Jombati.

Referee: Tim Robinson Attendance: 7,552 (1,690 from Wycombe).