DANNY Hylton scored twice in 109 seconds as Oxford United came from behind to claim their first away league win in an enthralling game at Sixfields.

It was a superb all-round performance from the visitors, who stood up to the physical side of the game and used the ball well when they had the chance.

Their barren run on the road looked set to continue when Enda Stevens fired Northampton Town in front early on.

But United turned the game on its head midway through the half, when Hylton bagged two goals in a flash.

First he headed in Joe Riley's cross and when Potter, who was running riot on the left flank, won a penalty, United's top scorer cheekily bagged his tenth goal of the season with a dinked finish.

Potter got the goal his display deserved early in the second half to give the visitors some valuable breathing space.

They almost needed it as Northampton finished strongly, but United saw out the game to claim back-to-back league wins for the first time in 11 months.

Michael Appleton's team sheet showed one change from Saturday's 2-0 win over Tranmere Rovers.

Potter, who came off the bench to score the second goal, was handed his first start for more than six weeks, replacing Callum O'Dowda.

United had struck early on when the sides met at Sixfields in May, but they were on the receiving end this time.

The visitors failed to clear their lines after Ryan Clarke parried a low shot from John-Joe O'Toole in the fourth minute.

Northampton bundled their way through the defensive line and the ball fell to Stevens, who neatly found the corner of the net from 12 yards.

The hosts clearly set out to press United high up the pitch, crowding them for space.

It worked well in the opening stages, as Appleton's men struggled to find a foothold in the game.

It had all the makings of a long night, but Potter provided some much-needed inspiration.

The winger looked razor sharp on the left flank and came close to a wonderful equaliser on 17 minutes, forcing Jordan Archer to tip over his dipping shot from 25 yards.

United still looked vulnerable at the back and a minute later should have conceded again.

A ricochet fell kindly for the Cobblers and stretched the back four. The ball was switched over to an unmarked Kaid Mohamed, who cut back past Clarke before shooting wide as three defenders converged on him.

It was a big moment which United - and Hylton in particular - exploited.

They levelled on 25 minutes when good work from Tyrone Barnett brought Joe Riley into play. The full back checked on to his weaker left foot but his cross found Hylton, who at first seemed to have made a poor contact with his header.

Time seemed to stand still as Sixfields fell silent, watching as the ball looped past Archer and into the net.

The sold out away end exploded with delight and they were still celebrating when Potter darted between two defenders and was hauled down in the box with the next attack.

Hylton duly stepped up and chipped the ball into the net for his second of the night.

United were buzzing and their sweet spell almost got better three minutes later.

Potter again created problems and when his cross was cleared to Riley, the full back crashed a volley from 30 yards which Archer just palmed over the crossbar.

Northampton belatedly regained their composure and went on to have a good spell in the ten minutes before half-time.

Several crosses were flashed across goal, while Johnny Mullins made an outstanding block to deny Lawson D'Ath.

United saw the game out to half-time, but came mighty close to conceding in the opening seconds after the restart.

D'Ath held off Whing and came through a challenge with Jake Wright, before shooting over from the penalty spot.

It was a timely reminder United had a long way to go, but their position improved on 50 minutes.

Potter dribbled into the area and from close to the by-line he flicked the ball over Archer and into the net.

It may have been a cross which took a slight deflection, but if it was intentional it was an astonishing finish.

Back came Northampton, who within two minutes saw Ivan Toney smack a header against the angle of post and crossbar.

The game continued at a breathless pace, with Northampton having to commit players forward and United counter-attacking into the space.

Midway through the half it was their turn to hit the woodwork, when Collins's in-swinging free-kick struck the post.

Northampton ratcheted up the pressure in the closing 20 minutes, forcing United to defend doggedly.

They were up to the task and also benefitted from some wayward finishing, with substitute Emile Sinclair spurning two chances to set up a grandstand finish.

But United were not to be denied and held on for undoubtedly their best result of the season.

Northampton Tn (4-4-1-1): Archer, Alfei (Tozer 70), Cresswell, Robertson, Stevens, D'Ath (Sinclair 70), Carter (Nicholls 49), Byrom, Mohamed, O'Toole, Toney.

Unused subs: Duke, Langmead, Moyo, Ravenhill.

Booked: O'Toole, Toney, Stevens, Cresswell.

Oxford Utd (4-4-2): Clarke, Riley, Mullins, Wright, Holmes-Dennis, Rose, Collins, Whing, Potter, Hylton, Barnett.

Subs used: Roberts (Hylton 82), Ruffels (Potter 90) Unused subs: G Long, Meades, Raynes, Morris, O'Dowda.

Booked: Referee: Philip Gibbs (West Midlands).

Attendance: 4,577 (932 visitors).