A RESTAURANT has been fined for breaching fire safety regulations.

Oxfordshire County Council fire safety inspector found The Raj, in High Street, Witney, breached regulations on the first floor, where employees live.

Fire escapes were discovered blocked by gas cylinders and safety devices had been disabled on cookers.

The company admitted three fire safety offences at Oxford Magistrates’ Court on January 18 and was fined a total of £1,150 for the offences.

It admitted failing to ensure the safety of employees, sufficiently assessing the risks to employees and ensuring people were able to evacuate safely.

A prohibition notice was also issued by the county council preventing the first floor from being used as accommodation where people sleep.

This will remain in force until a further inspection.

Chief fire officer Nathan Travis said: “One of our principal aims is to support local businesses by providing advice and guidance to ensure the safety of the public and their employees – as well as a prosperous Oxfordshire economy.

“However, it is unfortunate that in a small minority of cases it is necessary to take legal steps to ensure the same outcome.

“Hopefully, this case will serve as a reminder to both employers and other people responsible for the effective management of fire safety measures in buildings ensure their properties are safe in the event of fire.”